Protein Long Term Effects

ehart

Yearling... With promise
We are thinking about doing supplemental feeding year round instead of just during deer season. We are in central MS along the MS river. Has anybody done it long enough to see any major results. If so how long do you think it took to see any results. I know it won’t be cheap doing it just curious on some opinions

We are thinking about doing supplemental feeding year round instead of just during deer season. We are in central MS along the MS river. Has anybody done it long enough to see any major results. If so how long do you think it took to see any results. I know it won’t be cheap doing it just curious on some opinions
How many acres are you controlling? I wouldn’t do it under about 600. I’m not saying it may not have some benefit but more than likely you are going to pay to improve your neighbors hunting as much or more than yours depending on some favors. I do have a good buddy who has a lot of land that does it, among a lot of food plots and managed woods. I’d say it works quite well in conjunction with those things.

We have right at 600. About 35 acres in plots and plenty of browse throughout the year. The neighbors are very selective on what they shoot and are feeding also year round. I can definitely tell a difference during the season when feeders run out because we see a lot less deer on the property.

We have right at 600. About 35 acres in plots and plenty of browse throughout the year. The neighbors are very selective on what they shoot and are feeding also year round. I can definitely tell a difference during the season when feeders run out because we see a lot less deer on the property.
If your neighbors are on board and you have that amount of land I probably would if you can swing it. If cost is an issue, and for most of us it is, I would consider doing it from April/May- September and call it good.

^^^^^ ya, Baker is the guy to ask on this. He even has his protein made to his recipe and spec.

We had a bad enough drought this past summer and early fall that some bucks started dropping antlers before new years, and several had dropped before Jan 15th season closer. My dad put a trough feeder out to try and help them recover. It’s on a small patch of cover he has on the back of his little hobby farm and they are hammering it. Pretty low deer numbers (two doe groups of 3-5 deer each, and a small young buck group of 4) but they are still eating about 150lbs a week from a single trough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Dr. Bronson Strickland on the Deer University podcast. He’s done studies all over your neck of the woods. Fetal programming. He is very good at presenting the nerdy data in a very easy to understand way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is in a soil region where supplemental feeding is unnecessary, it’s you. I would think you’d be money ahead to focus on habitat and headcount mgt.

If anyone is in a soil region where supplemental feeding is unnecessary, it’s you. I would think you’d be money ahead to focus on habitat and headcount mgt.
I've always heard some of the best bucks in the south (inches of antler) come from the MS delta.

I've always heard some of the best bucks in the south (inches of antler) come from the MS delta.
It is an incredibly special part of the world.

It is an incredibly special part of the world.
There's got to be hundreds of millions of pounds of topsoil that have settled there over the years

And some really big tracts of land that protect young bucks

There's got to be hundreds of millions of pounds of topsoil that have settled there over the years
100-year floods decimate the herd and it’s literally back to world-class in about 12 month’s time. The ability for those forests to grow tonnage of high quality whitetail food is unrivaled in the natural world anymore, at least to this country boy.

Last edited:
Is supp. feeding allowed where you are?

Is supp. feeding allowed where you are?
It is. A little further south it isn’t allowed. Used to be a few years ago

I figured you were talking about this place. https://habitat-talk.com/threads/riverbend.14518/#post-286716

It’s in a CWD mgt zone where feeding isn’t allowed, huh, which is basically all of Issaquena cty below Rolling Fork?
That place is in the zone. My other place is above Rolling Fork. I would think they will be lifting the ban sometime.