Protecting Apple Trees from Sun Scald

Freeborn

5 year old buck +
My apple trees have aluminum screen around them which is a pain to remove and then put back on. Could I just spray paint the south side of the screen rather than take it off? For the rest of the tree above the screen I can paint but would prefer not to remove the screen. Do you have to dilute your paint? If you could use spray paint it might make things easier and allot quicker.

Jerry-when I screen my trees, I use extra material and fold it over/restaple on the Sw side of the tree. I use about 2 feet of screen.

I also like some weeds on the south and sw side.
Last year I took and old brush and dabbed some paint on the screen, but I am not an expert.

I tried something new this year. I may regret it but I used straight latex paint and put it on thick for the first couple feet then light in the south side. I am betting on the paint being a deterrent to rodents. The screens are a pain and I would like to do away with them.

I tried something new this year. I may regret it but I used straight latex paint and put it on thick for the first couple feet then light in the south side. I am betting on the paint being a deterrent to rodents. The screens are a pain and I would like to do away with them.
If you mix the paint with sand it will be more effective.

In terms of spray paint I would be a little leary for a couple reasons. One can you get latex paint in a spray can? The formulations in cans might be harmful to the tree, especially young thin barked trees. Second you might create a micro environment between the tree and the screen if you close off enough airflow with the paint which would be a great place for bugs and mold/fungus to grow.

Agree, Screens are a pain but I would be hesitant to risk not using them. A quick google and they do make latex spray paint. I wonder if I purchased a cheap spray bottle if I could just mix my own and then throw away the bottle?

My apple trees have aluminum screen around them which is a pain to remove and then put back on. Could I just spray paint the south side of the screen rather than take it off? For the rest of the tree above the screen I can paint but would prefer not to remove the screen. Do you have to dilute your paint? If you could use spray paint it might make things easier and allot quicker.

I used white latex that was diluted with 50% water. I pushed the screen against the tree and painted right on the screen when it was against the tree. Some of the paint ended up on the tree and some stayed on the screen - it might not be perfect, but it was better than nothing. I also left some tall goldenrod and other assorted weeds on the S side of the trees.

I'd be worried about rodent damage if you took off the screens permanently.