Screening Trees

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
For you fellas that use aluminum window screen around your trees, how many wraps do you put on and how do you secure the screen?

Could I mulch up to the trunk if I use window screen? I'm using the white corrugated split tubes and I put them on in October and take them off in May. I'm in the process of mulching my trees and was wondering if the screen would be a more permanent way to go?

I put 2 or 3 wraps very loose around the trunk then kind of crimp it tight by folding it back on itself. I use a regular office stapler to make the connection from coming undone. This works great as the tree grows the staples just pull out from the screen and you can redo as needed. Note: Rabbits can get through wire mesh cages. LOL. So screen stays on forever on my trees. They gnaw on even very large trunks.

I just basically fold a piece over and staple ends together about the size and like folding an 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper.If you wrap more than once and don't remove,the tree will grow into it

Just fold it around the tree once and staple. No need to complicate it. Staple bottom from tree out, then up, then back over to the tree.

I just cut about an 8-9" wide by 36" tall piece of screen then staple it starting at the top and make it semi-tight (give it 1-2") from the trunk of the tree. Staple the whole way to the bottom, then bury the bottom in gravel or limestone screening about 3" deep. I have yet to lose a tree to bunnies or moles/voles doing it this way (this is for fruit trees only, I did not screen my new evergreens).
IMG_6105[1].JPG

To add to that, I usually make 2-3 rows of staples, so as the tree grows, it can pop the first row of staples out, and still be secured. Some of my 8 yo trees are popping the last row of staples this spring. I may, or may not add more to them. I am planning on pulling cages and putting weed matts and mulch around them either this summer, or next year. Most likely next year.

Is it okay to bury the bottom end directly into the mulch?

Is it okay to bury the bottom end directly into the mulch?

Yes it won’t hurt anything, but you could just slide it down as low as possible, just for ease of installation.