Property purchase Review-WI

Doohop65

5 year old buck +
Here is a property my family is considering putting an offer in on. My wife prefers this one over another smaller parcel I like because it is more family friendly.

Take a look at the link and let me know if any concerns. It is an old Christmas tree farm with some oak pockets.

Some recent rehab work has been done that opened it up and pulled out some timber value. Should help the deer hunting long term but it will take time.

It is primarily Coloma sandy loam soil. I have hunted this type of ground before and know it pretty well. It can’t be managed like beautiful black ground but can be serviceable.

I don’t love the western access but I think that can be managed. It appears there is an old railroad bed from the soils map but I didn’t see it when walking so it must be long gone. Any concerns about that?

I know I won’t kill 150” deer tomorrow but with little kids and a budget can this be managed into a good Farm?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.whitetaildreams.com/hunt...s-of-hunting-land-turn-key-with-4-food-plots/

Yes I think it could. It looks like there is some logging potential for income. You could do certain areas to thicken up spots and create soft pinch points. Plenty of pockets for kill plots if you want to add some or plant some trees for diversity. Someday I would love to have place like that. It will take some work like always but if it’s something your serious about doing. You’ll make it work. Looks like previous owners did some management as well. So You don’t have to start from scratch.

Thanks peplin. The property has been on and off the market for a couple of years. The owners are loggers and they did some cutting this summer to open it up.

It isn’t a big buck property today but it is time to get off public and the kids are getting old enough to tag along.

It needs a bunch of work and time but think it can come together in 3-5 years.

There are a lot of smart folks here and want the expertise of the group to see if I am missing something.

Yes I think it could. It looks like there is some logging potential for income. You could do certain areas to thicken up spots and create soft pinch points. Plenty of pockets for kill plots if you want to add some or plant some trees for diversity. Someday I would love to have place like that. It will take some work like always but if it’s something your serious about doing. You’ll make it work. Looks like previous owners did some management as well. So You don’t have to start from scratch.

Looks like there is a ROW (right-of-way) of some sort. Make sure you do your homework on that. There may be limitations as to what you can and can't do there. Other than that I'm not much help. Hopefully some folks more familiar with that area of the country will chime in for you. I also no nothing about hunting and managing pines. Road frontage is a double-edged sword. Great for re-sale and access.....terrible for poaching, littering, road hunters, trespasser and the like. Also look into what sort of utilities you have access to in case you build a cabin or bring out a camper. If they will let you take a soil probe to the plot areas and see what the soil looks like. it's not scientific, but it will give you an idea of how much top soil you have and what the sub soil conditions (drainage) may be like. Also look at beyond the property lines. Look at neighboring properties and houses. If they are run-down or not well kept you may be in a tough area and have issues with neighbors. 80 acres may seem like a lot but the entire neighborhood grows the deer!

There is a buried gas line right of way. The realtor is getting me the easement paperwork but from what I understand you can’t plant trees or put permanent structures but can plant food plots.

I have a buddy who rolls a blind to the end of one on a property he hunts. They plant a food plot and have some success on theirs.

There is power at the road so that shouldn’t be an issue.

The land is all pretty high and dry with sand type soils. My wife works in soils for work and understands the soil maps. The biggest challenge will be getting the ph up and incorporating strategies to raise a very low organic matter.

I would have a lot more problem keeping water on the property than getting rid of it. High drainage with no standing water.

Thanks for the thoughts.

You mention about having some experience with that type of soil which is good since realize any foodplot this year had almost ideal rainfall and maybe unrealistic to do that well as pic on average. Had a forestry field day over that way about five years ago and that parcel was all blow sand from the dust bowl times and pines grew well but not much else. If loggers have it now expect any timber income from logs is a long way off but maybe pulp and polesize cuts in 15-20 yr intervals. Looks easy to put a cabin on, just expect a bunch of ticks in the spring. They love that sandy pine stuff. Close to Chain O Lakes so touristy not too far away and maybe a plus for the family type activities

3,000 per acre for 80 acres of undeveloped land with no buildings seems high for the area.

Looks like you have 2 nice marshes to the east & west, I like that for good undisturbed bedding area.

What size are the surrounding properties, how many neighbors surround this property? Fewer larger parcels always better.

Not especially a fan of row pine plantations but it sounds like that can be improved. Looks like it is ready to hunt and you can add your your own improvements.

If it gets the wife's approval, and works for involving your kids, looks like a good fit. Get an attorney to help with the offer and do a through title history check. As Bueller said, it is priced high, throw out
a low ball offer and see how they respond.

Good luck.

3,000 per acre for 80 acres of undeveloped land with no buildings seems high for the area.

My thought as well.

3000 won’t be the offer. If they don’t want to move then someone else can own it.

Most of the properties around it are good size. Too the east is a large tract of Campbell tree farm. 2 neighbors in each of the other directions including across the road.

Yes 3 k per acre is high even 2500 for raw undeveloped land. I bought my 3000 square foot house on 80 acres in Western wisc for about the same price.

Yes 3 k per acre is high even 2500 for raw undeveloped land. I bought my 3000 square foot house on 80 acres in Western wisc for about the same price.

No, not really. Quality vacant land can range from $1500-$4000/acre in this area. Undeveloped AG land can go higher.

No, not really. Quality vacant land can range from $1500-$4000/acre in this area. Undeveloped AG land can go higher.
Hey Spud. Anyway you slice it for that piece, 3 k an acre is high. But to each his own if someone wants to pay that for land that is logged, has Sandy soil and needs work. Go for it

$3000/acre is getting to be a common asking price on vacant hunting land an hour or less from the Fox Cities. Not saying that is always the final sell price. Also appears to be within just a few miles of "famed" Waupaca Cty and honestly my old man made jokes about the Chain O Lakes area nuts land prices over 40 yrs ago. The fact it is on a hunting type realtor web site is also jacking price some percentage, just like Mossy Oak Properties stuff. That realtor is just a local version trying to make himself a wannabe like the other big players.

My uncle was asking $3000/acre on 80 acre sandy hayfield in Waupaca Cty just a few years ago and sold it. Not sure how much he came off his price. At $2500 I might have bit and coulda resold if I wanted and made a little money.

Really, really nice hunting land in that 1 hr driving window is $4500/acre and up NO problem.

Really nice oak woods type 80 acres of land in Waushara Cty went for $3000/acre about 9 yrs ago bought by a friend of a friend. Just some data points.

Hey Spud. Anyway you slice it for that piece, 3 k an acre is high. But to each his own if someone wants to pay that for land that is logged, has Sandy soil and needs work. Go for it

You didn't qualify "that" piece. I was responding to the price of undeveloped or recreational land.

Already said I would low ball the $3k for for that piece.

End or the day if the OP gets it in his budget it sounds like a good fit.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have done my homework and while the seller probably won’t like my offer the comps of what sold in the last year in the area will back up my offer. If he wants to sell good. If not I am not paying 3k.

I am more interested in people’s thoughts on any red flags for a decent hunting property that my family can enjoy.

With the oaks that are here and te pines opened up will I be able to get my kids on deer on a regular basis. In my mind getting my kids on the ground helping Dad and see No deer is important to me.

They don’t have to be huge but I know this area will grow deer if you give them a chance. I just don’t want to miss something and buy a problem.

If I found this right in the plat book, don't forget to remind them it really is 79.45 acres when talking price. Yah, I got maps of everything within an hours+ drive of the Fox Cities but some of this stuff is getting old. Like all the names for every parcel over 10 acres is handwritten not a computer font. Bet the neighbors on the other 0.55 acres don't make much noise though.

Rock, you crack me up. They might get unruly during Halloween but otherwise I am sure they are quiet. You are correct on the parcel, that corner is a cemetery.

If you have a better piece hiding in that plat book I am all ears. I am just outside Appleton and distance is important

There was some thought that went into the property for deer habitat. Not a fan of pine plantation they become sterile to the deer and don’t use it. If I really wanted it $2500 acre is more realistic.