All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Property Access

Worst part about owning land is trespassers and folks that simply don't respect what you are giving them access to.

Lots of truth in those words. Took me "way" to long to learn that.

From the day I closed on my farm it's been a zero tolerance position on my part. Property lines were posted and I made the effort to meet/visit with all my neighbors and exchange contact information. I was also respectfully clear about my expectation they honor boundaries. The first year I called the sheriff twice...since then I've had no issues whatsover.

Whoever said, "Give'em an inch they'll take a mile" is exactly right. Nip it in the bud, have the sheriff pay'em a visit, and my guess is the frequency of trespass declines as word circulates in the neighborhood that it simply won't be tolerated.

Reactions: Tap
I had the sheriff pay a visit to a neighbor who mowed a trail 35 yards onto my land to access a stand he built in an oak tree. I also prosecuted a fellow who had first gotten a warning to stay off my land. As an absentee land owner, the word gets around that you will take action against trespassers. I have had almost no problems after those actions. Both violators were locals and did not have any respect for my property boundaries. The heck with being nice! Decent neighbors do not trespass.

I have posted before how fortunate I am with my neighbors that share the road. The three of them and I all have similar goals, attitudes and personalities. I had my first sign of a potential issue last weekend. One of my food plot trails is about 30 yards inside the property line. I have a tree stand probably 40 yards inside the line looking into the center of my property near that trail. While I was blowing the leaves off of that particular trail on Saturday I saw a new stand that I hadn't seen before. It must've gone up during firearms season. It wasn't there before that. It's on my opposite neighbor (not one of the guys who shares the road). The stand is less than fifty yards from my stand and he's right on the fence line with the stand setup looking right down the line with a clear view of my stand and my food plot trail off to his right. Obviously he's intent on catching deer as they cross the fence or perhaps even shooting into my land. I'm considering a tornado zone hinge cut in the coming weeks.

Well, to add to it I pulled the cards from some of my cameras and now have neighbor's dogs running. Sometimes I just want to turn the place into a motorcross track or something.

Actually that pic came from facebook. It's appeared several times from different people I know.