Propagation medium

christiejr123

Yearling... With promise
I am looking for suggestions on a medium for stratification and propagation for acorns and chestnuts. I found Pro Mix PGX online, which looks well suited, but the local grow store only carries Pro Mix HP. Any issues with using the HP or should I continue to search for PGX or another medium. Open to suggestions. Thank you!

I generally use peat moss. Smaller seeds need a finer grind. Acorns and chestnuts probably tolerate a coarser (and cheaper) peat moss. I add vermiculite as needed, e.g. germinating lettuce seeds.

If you want a mycorrhizal fungus, those can be purchased separately, and I suspect they may be specific to certain types of trees.

If you want to buy something already blended, it will probably cost more, but I don't see why either of those products wouldn't work as well as a home blend.

I am looking for suggestions on a medium for stratification and propagation for acorns and chestnuts. I found Pro Mix PGX online, which looks well suited, but the local grow store only carries Pro Mix HP. Any issues with using the HP or should I continue to search for PGX or another medium. Open to suggestions. Thank you!

I personally like long stem sphagnum (not the stuff you buy at lowes). Live works best, but is hard to find. Dried still works well. Soak it and then grab a handful and squeeze it as hard as you can to squeeze out all the water. This is about the right moisture content. Chestnuts are high carb and mold can be a problem. I like to divide my nuts in multiple ziplok bags so if one gets mold the spread is limited. Zip the bag shut about 3/4 way and then fold over the top and put them in the crisper of your fridge. Long leaf sphagnum has some anti-fungal properties that does help.

The biggest issue with mold is the nut source. Folks try to use a light bleach solution to wash off mold, but it doesn't help much. If nuts are collected off the ground, mold exposure is much higher. I've had good luck buying my nuts from Chestnut Ridge.

I have a bunch of dried long leaf sphagnum left over. PM me and I'll send you some.

Long leaf sphagnum is ok for stratification but not necessary

I soak chestnuts in water for 24 hours ,towel them off and place 20/zip lock bag

Leave unseal and refrigerate for 60-90 days

Pro Mix HP is better than GX (IMO) for propagation due to superior drainage

Chestnuts are a labor of love so be prepared for some broken hearts along the journey

bill

I generally use slightly damp sphagnum in a zip lock and into the beer crisper. I poke a bunch of holes in the bag in an attempt to keep them from molding. This is only messing with acorns, not chestnuts.

Some thoughts on cold stratification of chestnuts:

Chestnuts are high in carbs and susceptible to mold.
Once mold sets in, it is very tough to get rid of.
The key to germination is the right balance of temperature and moisture.
If either the temperature is too low or the moisture content is too low, nuts will go into a kind of suspended animation rather than stratifying.
Too much moisture promotes mold and too warm promotes mold.

Here is a thread with a lot of good info about chestnut cold stratification: https://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/chestnut-stratification.10518/

Thanks,

Jack

this year, tried to simplify process.Just took some acorns and placed them in peat moss bag (that was turned up on end allowing for greater depth of root growth). Has worked wonderfully so far. 10 for 10 on growth. just every now and then a little miracle grow watering an thats it.