All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Process to cutting a tree up?

One was a kickback. The other was a gal that got saw qualified without being strong enough to pull start the saw or hold it very long. She was resting the lower head on her knee cutting when it slipped and got the chaps. I am running a Husky 562XP with instarev. I really should wear chaps since I am by myself 98.5% of the time.

That same gal almost killed us one day. I can still see it in slow motion today.

ng on, over branches with a running chainsaw.
after that, I just looking for where the log is hanging, and cut pieces from the hanging piece. If the log is on the ground, or has a valley under it, sometimes depending on size, you can lift the log, and rest it onto something so there is more hanging. Keep the bar and chain off, out of the dirt, and avoid cutting in pinch points

Exactly what i was going to say, with emphasis on the following: Don't pinch your saw.

Get yourself chaps and the helmet/face shield. Wear them wear them wear them. Who cares what you look like. They WILL save your life. I have two saws. A small stihl for limbing. And a large one for actual felling. I will be adding a “can’t hook” or a “log peavy” this winter to help roll the things once down bc my forestor marked out some monster trees.

Lots of good info here and I appreciate the thread!! I've really stepped my game up since purchasing the farm. Keeping the roads clean is a job in itself....now we are putting in a wood burning stove so I've really been trying to get with it. Here's the method we've been utilizing.....

1. Cutting by yourself is dangerous but not always avoidable. Sometimes you just have to get it done. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ALWAYS LOOK THREE STEPS AHEAD. Focus on what's going to happen immediately as well as possible chain reactions. Bent limbs store a lot of energy and can be harmful/fatal if you are in the wrong spot at the wrong time. EYES AND EARS ARE A MUST AT ALL TIMES! THIS IS A NON-NEGOTIABLE. I normally wear sunglasses but this summer heat has me thinking about a hard hat/face shield combo. The sweat that pools in the glasses is unbearable. A screened face shield would eliminate that. I do not wear chaps but may add that my arsenal this winter (I'm sure my lady would love to see me in a set of stihl protective chaps :)

2. When assessing a situation I don't think you can analyze too much. We are always playing "what if"......I was terrible at geometry but seeing the angles really help.

3. I agree with what the other posters have mentioned....don't try and go too far. If you think it's going to pinch, it's probably too late. We are pretty lucky here because we have a tractor on site and 3-4 saws. Makes for a quick and easy fix if a pinch occurs (again, cutting by yourself makes a pinch a BAD DEAL). The tractor allows us to relieve tension and the multiple saws allow us to cut our way out if necessary.

4. If you are going to cut a lot of wood, the hook is a MUST. Even with two guys, we rely a lot on the cant. After the tree is on the ground we limb it and clean the site up. Because the stoves will cook a 22" long, we measure each limbed log in 20" sections and mark it with saw cuts. After we have it marked, we start on the ends and work our way toward one another. We cut the log about 70% through (only 70 because we are careful not to touch the ground with the saws). We then use the cant to roll the log and expose uncut 30%. We finish off the 30% and we have a mess of 20" logs ready to be split. The symmetrical logs leave little waste and make it easy to split and stack.

5. When stacking, think about a system that has you handle the logs as few times as possible. This is one I'm struggling with because I'm new to this house and property. Lots of stacking and re-stacking. I tell myself it's an extra workout but....... If you have to move the wood on the road, make sure you cover it for the ride. You dont want a log bouncing out (I use I65 a lot and it is rough as a cob!!).

I don't feel like the whole system can be summed up in 5 steps and I'm sure I'm forgetting something..... IMO, the main thing is to be safe and figure out a system that works for you. Good luck and be safe!!