Prescribed Burn

A plan and prep work went a long way for us. We spent more time blowing fire lanes and around my trees that I have planted than we did actually burning! One nice thing was I have a wide creek that was a natural fire break for us. The soil was so damp in the bottom that the fire didn't even reach the creek.

The only time I've had a fire take longer than the prep work was this past year when we tried a growing season burn. We had a high stem count in this clear-cut that shaded out enough broomsedge that, with the summer growing conditions, make it hard for fire to carry. We are still assessing the effectiveness of that burn and may do another dormant burn on it if need later this month or early next.

Getting ready to burn on my farm. I got my neighbor to do the firebreaks since I have no tractor and I'm so far away. If the weather cooperates, I'll burn at the end of the month.View attachment 41272
Now that's a fire break!

A plan and prep work went a long way for us. We spent more time blowing fire lanes and around my trees that I have planted than we did actually burning! One nice thing was I have a wide creek that was a natural fire break for us. The soil was so damp in the bottom that the fire didn't even reach the creek.
I actually wrote down a plan and printed it out with the date, fire dept #s, plan and who all was there (redacted). I heard that was good for insurance purposes if things went badly so you could prove that you tried to do everything the smart way and think it though beforehand.

Burn Plan

Objective: Burn thatch of reed canary grass and other weeds in preparation for spraying/planting

Burn Date: 03/20/2021 beginning ~9AM

Field makeup: Dried/dead reed canary grass, various broadleaf weeds and grasses

Forecast: 23 in AM, 58 in PM, 4-6 MPH winds WNW

Equipment: Rakes, shovels, 25-gallon 4-wheeler sprayer, 4-gallon backpack sprayer, 3-5 5-gallon buckets of water

Plan: Hare at least 2 hare-widths around the outside of the field for a fire break, then rake grass and some dead limbs in the break back towards the middle of the field. Begin burning at the lower part of the driveway using a weed torch and small propane torch to light the fire.

Fall back options: Begin backing fire in the middle of the field if it burns too fast, watch edges and spray with backpack sprayer or 4-wheeler sprayer if needed

Emergency Contacts:

Eldred Township Volunteer Fire Company: 570-435-0211

Loyalsock Township Volunteer Fire Company: 570-323-3603

IF it gets really bad: 911

Just wait until you see that in 2 years!
Cant wait bud! Hoping people will post some after burn pics here. Any way I'll see any new growth this growing season?

Hard to believe but burning has proven to increase the number of ticks in some cases . The researchers actually take duct tape and count ticks per foot . Seams that if an area doesn't have a lot to attract wildlife that carry ticks the tick population will be low . Burning helps forage plants and attracts wildlife which means more ticks.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
I thought ticks lay their eggs in the spring like most of nature and their offspring grow throughout the summer. I wasn't sure as it has been awhile since I looked up tick information so I went digging. I assumed if you do prescribed burns in the spring it would lower the tick population but again I wasn't sure so I dug into it to find out.

This is a pretty good publication on the topic for those interested.

We had 1 field go great last year. We had another one that I still haven't got my rear end to unpucker...

last summer and fall we mowed about 10'+ around the field. That'll help a lot.

We usually try to get 4-5 guys, backpacks, and have a man on the tractor with a disc if we need him.
Feel far more prepared this year. Burning into the wind as a fire break is big.

This fox tail is holding my switch back. this will be the 3rd year of switch, should start getting thick

I thought ticks lay their eggs in the spring like most of nature and their offspring grow throughout the summer. I wasn't sure as it has been awhile since I looked up tick information so I went digging. I assumed if you do prescribed burns in the spring it would lower the tick population but again I wasn't sure so I dug into it to find out.

That was interesting. Sometimes the "old wives tails" end up being true. I have noticed less ticks in areas I burn regularly but I also use permitheron on my work pants. Hard to say for sure and I don't have time to do a study, I just enjoy burning RCG swamps.

Chuck

Very interesting article!

I'm jealous. I can't wait to burn the RCG this year. I love to have Johnny Cash Ring of Fire on my head phones when I do it haha.

Well, it looks like we are on the schedule for this Friday or Saturday...Weather Permitting...

Well, it looks like we are on the schedule for this Friday or Saturday...Weather Permitting...
You must have moisture, lighting a fire here would be criminal right now.

Same here our Task Force is on standby and many evacuations

Ahhh we just got 4 inches of snow. Nope not yet.

You must have moisture, lighting a fire here would be criminal right now.
It was too wet to burn in Feb. We've had a dry week or so, but they are calling for some more rain next week here.

I'm jealous. I can't wait to burn the RCG this year. I love to have Johnny Cash Ring of Fire on my head phones when I do it haha.
^^^^^^^^ this
Cash,Hank,Willie,Skynard are my habitat "go to's" ........

bill

Had a group of 7 jakes in one of my plots last week. Haven't seen that big of a group in a long time, usually 2-3 at most. We thinned the pines 2 years ago and have been trapping raccoons and opossums like crazy. I'm thinking that and good luck is what factored in to a successful hatch last year. I'm hoping prescribed burns will only make it better! Hope everyone gets to burn soon!

We had hoped to burn tomorrow evening but our burn manager decided it won't have dried out enough for his liking to achieve our desired result, so it has been postponed...Hopefully next weekend....

Well, we finally got a day with the right weather and enough help!

a798fd28-566e-4576-8bb1-45b3e249fb55.jpg

We burned an 8 acre clear-cut. We did not have a burn ban exception this time, so we could not start until 4PM. It was about 9:30 PM when we put it to bed.

Thanks,

Jack