Pond advice

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
I have a chain of ponds on my future house site in SE Ohio. 20 years ago they were prime fisheries, 2 to 6lb bass, bluegill schools everywhere, catfish, multi species from 5 to 60lb. Plenty of crappie, etc.....

I moved out west and progressively things have stunted year after year during my visits, its been a downward trend. There's slot bass 8 to 12inch now and nothing else. There's minimal bluegill, small amount of crappie, and no cats.

Fishing was my life as a youngster, was much better at it than a hunter. I'm scheduled to retire from my out west leo gig in 2030. I'd like to build these ponds up so my kids can enjoy them during our summer visits and when we move back for good in 2030. I know little about pond management and looking for resources out there to get the ponds to their full capabilities.

I.e. structure implements, homemade structure implements, water quality, bait fish types and amounts, good ohio nurseries who don't break the bank,etc... Anyone out there got a BA pond or small lake? I am clueless....

Check out Pond Boss ... it is the Habitat Talk of ponds.

I have a chain of ponds on my future house site in SE Ohio. 20 years ago they were prime fisheries, 2 to 6lb bass, bluegill schools everywhere, catfish, multi species from 5 to 60lb. Plenty of crappie, etc.....

I moved out west and progressively things have stunted year after year during my visits, its been a downward trend. There's slot bass 8 to 12inch now and nothing else. There's minimal bluegill, small amount of crappie, and no cats.

Fishing was my life as a youngster, was much better at it than a hunter. I'm scheduled to retire from my out west leo gig in 2030. I'd like to build these ponds up so my kids can enjoy them during our summer visits and when we move back for good in 2030. I know little about pond management and looking for resources out there to get the ponds to their full capabilities.

I.e. structure implements, homemade structure implements, water quality, bait fish types and amounts, good ohio nurseries who don't break the bank,etc... Anyone out there got a BA pond or small lake? I am clueless....
Just ordered my fish. Prob best to nuke what’s in there and start over. With multiple ponds I would not mix the big fish too much. Have one for catfish. One for crappie. Multiple for bass.

All will need bait fish (bluegill, shell cracker, minnows)

Check out Pond Boss ... it is the Habitat Talk of ponds.

What he said! PondBoss will steer you in the right direction. Huge amounts of knowledge, just ask.

Copy that, after taking the initial dive I see some major problem areas with lack of habitat and cover. Def gonna enjoy pond boss
What he said! PondBoss will steer you in the right direction. Huge amounts of knowledge, just ask.

Copy that, after taking the initial dive I see some major problem areas with lack of habitat and cover. Def gonna enjoy pond boss
What's your name over there? I'll be interested in following your tread.

SEOBBD24

What the hell kind of name is that!?! I can't remember that!

Lol, just joking. I'll keep an eye out for ya to see how things progress. Those guys know their chit!

Ponds fill with silt over time also a good cleaning maybe in order.

Last edited:
What county are you in?

I'm scheduled to retire from my out west leo gig in 2030
I don't have any advice regarding ponds but there are some great minds here and I am sure you will get good advice, but I wanted to thank you for your service!

How big is the pond? What is depth?

Small bass and very few panfish suggests bass population is to high thus stunting bass growth. I would start to remove as many bass as you can. To spend money on adding panfish or minnows would be a waste as they would be quickly eaten.

If you don't have any structure in the pond, hard for baitfish & panfish fry to survive. If no structure, add some structure before adding more fish. Wood pallets with cinder blocks or rock piles are good. Laying a couple of pallets on top of each other in 1' - 2' of water allows baitfish to lay their eggs on the underside of flat wood surfaces.

A company that supplies good structures that you can assemble is ...

Pond mgmt is like habitat management, learn what you have and go slow with changes.

Last edited:

Small bass and very few panfish suggests bass population is to high thus stunting bass growth. I would start to remove as many bass as you can. To spend money on adding panfish or minnows would be a waste as they would be quickly eaten.

If you don't have any structure in the pond, hard for baitfish & panfish fry to survive. If no structure, add some structure before adding more fish. Wood pallets with cinder blocks or rock piles are good. Laying a couple of pallets on top of each other in 1' - 2' of water allows baitfish to lay their eggs on the underside of flat wood surfaces.

Pond mgmt is like habitat management, learn what you have and go slow with changes.

like deer, bass are creatures of edge and use under water terrain features/topography

pond management is great fun

check out the pond boss magazine

bill

Pond sizes are both about an acre, one may be a little over. Depths are 10 to 12 feet deep.

I would probably dump in a bunch of structure and net out most of the bass. Then restock. See how that goes for you. Draining and dredging is a massive project, and best avoided if possible.