Pole Barns - Living Quarters

I go back and forth on the spray foam insulation. I won't have electrical so I will need to use the generator to run the ac during the summer. Maybe the spray foam insulation can minimize that?

Ben, what do you typically store in your garage area?

In the garage side I store an old lawn mower, snow blower, ATV trailer, garage sale hand tools, fenceposts, wire, etc. Generally just low value large sized items that would be a pain in the butt to haul back and forth to my property. I also occasionally leave my boat up there for a week or two if I'll be back up there shortly and don't feel like dragging it back and forth.

Thanks Ben. I appreciate all the information you provided.

No problem, good luck. The building process is a pain in the butt, but worth it in the end.

Reactions: gwm
Here is the one we are working on now.

e44d6e219db086ec4ebdeb1dfd057c29.jpg
723bcef57b36263c6824311d2bc03b12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any details you can provide? Size, finished area, rooms, etc?

Ben and Simpson,

I really really like those!!!! I wish I had built one as opposed to reworking and remodeling the old block house I inherited so to speak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have any questions let me know

My wife and I had a 30 x 56 (30 x 32 living quarters with a 2 BR loft) metal building built a little over two years ago. We went with spray foam insulation in the living quarters on the 3 exterior walls and the ceiling. The wall between the living quarters and garage is roll out fiberglass insulation and so are the garage walls, there is spray foam insulation along the bottom 12 inches of the garage walls for a bug barrier. This saved money yet put the spray foam where it did the most good. The installer liked the idea also because he said their have been issues with spray foam insulated metal buildings and wood burning stoves because the building was to airtight. I bought a wood stove this summer but have to hook it up. We have been heating with baseboard electric heaters and cooling with window A/C units and the spray foam is amazing, it takes very little to heat or cool and our electric bill is very low. 0815151817.jpg 0906161543.jpg

Thanks for the information. Right now (we constantly change our minds) we're leaning towards the spray foam insulation also.

My wife is looking over my shoulder asking if you have any inside pictures?

I never get sick of these barndominums

I've got a buddy in Ravanna MO building one now. I stopped by and that foam insulation/ bug barriers look pretty sweet.

Wish I had that!

I never get sick of these barndominums

Thanks for the information. Right now (we constantly change our minds) we're leaning towards the spray foam insulation also.

Have some on my computer at work. Cannot get to it until Monday. I will post them Monday night.

We used foam when we remolded the south end of our old farm house. Did the walls & ceiling. You get a R Factor of 7 for every 1.0" of foam.

On our new pole barn, we are insulating the entire building with a 1.5" layer of spray foam on the 2" x 8" walls and the balance will be fiberglass insulation for an r Factor of ~ 22.

Note that the foam needs to breath so putting the fiberglass insulation will reduce moisture problems. The form also seals extremely well so consider some venting and/or a dehumidifier. Helps if you lay a vapor barrier & 2" foam board below your concrete slab.

On our last property, we put up a 67'x36' pole building and finished off 25' of it. The whole building was insulated & heated/AC. The wood stove was so efficient that we barley turned on the htg while it was running. Here is the living area. Through the door on the wall are 2 bedrooms with full size mattress bunk beds.

Living Area Pic.jpg

Here is the kitchen area ...

Kitchen 20140316_122758 (3).jpg

And the bathroom ... sorry only one I could find was under construction... shower, toilet, vanity, water heater, Washer & dryer ... wife was happy :emoji_relaxed:

IMG_0670_0007.jpg

0906161516.jpg 0906161540.jpg 0906161610.jpg 0906161542.jpg Here are some interior pics.
The things we really like.
1. Tankless water heater (saves space).
2. Pull thru garage. (nothing is trapped at the back).
3. Screened in porch.
4. Alarm System.
Some things we will probably add.
1. Covered front door entryway.
2. Larger master bedroom with a bath.
3. Closet space.
4. Storm Shelter.
3. Storm Shelter.

Let me say AGAIN there is something to the pole building cabin on a farm that I really really like. Dang I am almost ready to build one and lease out the house that I have for myself on the farm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk