Pole aspen blockade/funnel

B

bat man

Safari 149.png
The brown area is a 30ish acre chunk of mainly pole aspen with a few mature trees the deer have multiple trails through. My plan is to jump and turn the grey areas into tornado zones the deer would struggle to transverse. Mess would be just wide enough to accomplish blockade of travel. Thinking maybe DIPPERS idea of half cut with my zubat for parallel blockade with first big wind. Anybody ever do similar that may have different idea for relation of the blockades?

Popple will rot fast and not provide lognterm blockades.

I would cut trails for the deer and block a few you do not like the deer to use.. Also plant a few spruce/balsam alongside of trails you want the deer to use for years. Even broken strings of evergreens in the popple's work.
I am not surehow big the pole aspen are, but the wind might tip them the wrong way.

I do not like the way aspens tend to snap and fall uncontrollably. I think it is best to drop them where you want as you are cutting. That ensures no surprises from wind gusts dropping trees while you are still working.

I use hinge cutting to gradually guide the deer movement. Too much bottle necking and they may simply avoid all together.

Keep in mind that Aspen can have significant regrowth from shoots along the root line. That may further congest the funneling.