Is this poison sumac?

Attachments

• IMG_20180709_131912898.jpg
    IMG_20180709_131912898.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180709_131929940.jpg
    IMG_20180709_131929940.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 37
nope, ailanthus, tree of heaven, large woody weed of a tree, browsed, but useless once it grows past browse range.

Thank you

FYI -

Foresters here call it the tree from HELL. It will overtake everything eventually if left unchecked. If you cut them off, they sprout lots of root shoots and multiply. If they go to seed, the birds will spread them all over. Another nasty trait they have - when you cut them, they seal themselves. So if you don't treat with Tordon or Garlon within a minute or 2 of cutting, they seal their wounds and your attempts at treating them will likely fail. I got this info from a registered, licensed forester here. He said cut and treat immediately - no delay. If they appear on your property, go to war before you get overrun.

If root sprouts appear around a "parent" tree, he told us to cut & treat ALL of them to kill the whole root system. The ailanthus ( tree of heaven ) is the favorite tree species of the spotted lantern fly - a big-time menace to hardwood timber, farm crops, vineyards, & orchards. They lay their eggs in the ailanthus trees ( favoring them ), but also lay eggs in other trees, shrubs, on buildings, and on vehicles - making the spread of spotted lantern flies even easier ( though unknowingly if under a vehicle. ) Both the tree AND the fly are compliments of COMMUNIST CHINA via shipping materials and the dumb-a$$ desire for " exotic, tropical-looking plants ".

I hope this info helps avoid local disasters.

I’ve only got a couple but they are toast as soon as I can get to them,

Thanks for the info.

There are big stands of it here. Even the big timber companies that deal in prime hardwoods are sweating bullets over the ailanthus invasion and the spotted lantern flies. We have our hands FULL with both vermin. I've been spraying, doing soil drenches, putting sticky bands on trees, and hand killing the nymphs just to keep my home landscape from dying. ( from the lantern flies ). Woods and roadsides around here are polluted with " tree of heaven ". Think green cancer.

Good luck killing your ailanthus. Get it while it's small !!

Isn't globalization WONDERFUL ???? Maybe Almighty God put vast oceans between continents for a reason. Yep ……………. I'm pissed.

There are big stands of it here. Even the big timber companies that deal in prime hardwoods are sweating bullets over the ailanthus invasion and the spotted lantern flies. We have our hands FULL with both vermin. I've been spraying, doing soil drenches, putting sticky bands on trees, and hand killing the nymphs just to keep my home landscape from dying. ( from the lantern flies ). Woods and roadsides around here are polluted with " tree of heaven ". Think green cancer.

Good luck killing your ailanthus. Get it while it's small !!

Isn't globalization WONDERFUL ???? Maybe Almighty God put vast oceans between continents for a reason. Yep ……………. I'm pissed.
Yep. I wouldn’t mind a big ole wall.

ToH is a topic a few times every year. I like having it. My deer go nuts over the stuff. It hasn't spread out of control on my place but maybe that's because I do actively cut it. It will stump sprout and sucker but if you repeatedly cut it, it tends to dye out...at least that's the way it's gone on my place. I had a couple spots that after about 3 years of yearly cutting (and stump suckering) the colony died-out and not ToH exist in that spot...I did not apply herbicide, the stuff just ran out of energy and the roots died. Your results may vary. I have 3 patches of it, mostly around the edges of my yard. Every year, in mid summer, I cut it and deer flock to the tops. They quickly browse thru the clover plots, but their true destination is the ToH tops.
Now, I'm in no way saying that ToH shouldn't be closely monitored and controlled if need be. I'm not against treating the stumps if the stuff is getting out of control. But man, the stuff is such a desirable, and fee source of browse. My deer strip every single leaf of every single ToH that I lay on the ground.
I'll repeat what I've said many times...It does need to be cut. Don't allow it to spread out of control. Completely cut the trunk in late summer while the leaves are at their very most desirable and put food on the ground. If you want to treat the stumps, go ahead and do it, but summer is the time to cut the stuff when it's full of leaves (food).
I've been doing this for over 10 years and my ToH IMO, is a valuable food source on my place but, yes, it needs to be closely watched and controlled.
I'll try to post some pics in a few minutes...gotta switch over to Tapatalk for photo posting.

Nice bucks, young bucks, adult does and their fawns...they all come to eat ToH.
7a518c1a9014057506b4969698eb04d1.jpg
d8053a6eced927b8b7c367b45dde3e7a.jpg
0d6ab6123e391a3db1fc8e4aed3b5853.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ToH is a topic a few times every year. I like having it. My deer go nuts over the stuff. It hasn't spread out of control on my place but maybe that's because I do actively cut it. It will stump sprout and sucker but if you repeatedly cut it, it tends to dye out...at least that's the way it's gone on my place. I had a couple spots that after about 3 years of yearly cutting (and stump suckering) the colony died-out and not ToH exist in that spot...I did not apply herbicide, the stuff just ran out of energy and the roots died. Your results may vary. I have 3 patches of it, mostly around the edges of my yard. Every year, in mid summer, I cut it and deer flock to the tops. They quickly browse thru the clover plots, but their true destination is the ToH tops.
Now, I'm in no way saying that ToH shouldn't be closely monitored and controlled if need be. I'm not against treating the stumps if the stuff is getting out of control. But man, the stuff is such a desirable, and fee source of browse. My deer strip every single leaf of every single ToH that I lay on the ground.
I'll repeat what I've said many times...It does need to be cut. Don't allow it to spread out of control. Completely cut the trunk in late summer while the leaves are at their very most desirable and put food on the ground. If you want to treat the stumps, go ahead and do it, but summer is the time to cut the stuff when it's full of leaves (food).
I've been doing this for over 10 years and my ToH IMO, is a valuable food source on my place but, yes, it needs to be closely watched and controlled.
I'll try to post some pics in a few minutes...gotta switch over to Tapatalk for photo posting.
I have noticed the same thing. When I bought the property I live on, there were a few ToH stands. One of these stands was in between my house and a plot I put in. I cut the Trees down and didn’t have time to cut them up. A couple days later I watched the multiple doe groups that use the plot b line to the felled trees. Since then, once the ToH gets out of reach, I cut it down. Regrowth does occur. For first time ToH cutters, be very careful, they are prone to snapping with no notice. I’ve hinge cut them, it works for about 1 in 3. The other 2 snap off. I should probably kill the things with remedy ultra and diesel, but they really do pull deer.

ToH (late summer) cuttings is a great place for a short-term trail cam location.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk