Poison ivy

Finally snapped a pic of the hairy vine growing (and subsequently killing) one of my pear trees it is about as big around as my wrist...IMG_5064[1].JPG

Right now you can see it a mile away as leaves are almost orange.I cut those vines and treat with tordon.Leaves of 3 leave them be leaves of 5 stay alive.

Tordon RTU applied to the cut stump of the vine should kill it I would think. Just be careful not to touch any of it with bare skin.

Right now you can see it a mile away as leaves are almost orange.I cut those vines and treat with tordon.Leaves of 3 leave them be leaves of 5 stay alive.

I’m Tordon shy.
You will definitely kill the PI but can also kill the tree it’s growing on and could possibly kill other trees close by.
Tordon can leach through ground easily and kill other stuff through root transference.

Crossbow or similar is safer to use.

I’m Tordon shy.
You will definitely kill the PI but can also kill the tree it’s growing on and could possibly kill other trees close by.
Tordon can leach through ground easily and kill other stuff through root transference.

Crossbow or similar is safer to use.
X2

Finally snapped a pic of the hairy vine growing (and subsequently killing) one of my pear trees it is about as big around as my wrist...View attachment 37862

Not poison ivy. Poison ivy doesn't have opposing leaves like that. Do you have poison sumac in your area?

FWIW - Obviously in different area than you but poison ivy is easy to spot now since the leaves have been turning since early October. Basically go from green to red with very little yellowing at all.

ivy.jpg

Yeah, that pic above is Virginia Creeper.
-----------------------------------------

I too have lotsa PI. Both the low level ground-covering type and the vertical vines.

I kill 'em both with a recipe of glypho + 2-4D.

I make the glypho 'hot'...3%....and the 2,4d at whatever is recommended on the label ( don't have my cheat-sheet handy)

I spray the ground cover....using my back-pack sprayer.....and any vertical vines up to about 10ft.

Now, I find vines that go higher than 10'. A lot higher.

Those suckers I sever with a small ax or machete....then paint the stump with pure 41% glypho.

PI is a never ending battle. It can be eliminated in an area with two or three years of spraying.

Hunt down the vertical vines like they are criminals. They are the ones that produce the most berries. Birds love 'em.....particularly woodpeckers, and then poop out the seeds.

I have read the best time to kill the vines is late July. They've reached full seasonal growth, berries are forming but far from being viable......so killing the vine then erases a full season's growth and blocks the nutrient replenishment to the roots tha
t would begin in late August.

Derek, Looks like you have a couple of different vines growing there. Looks like poison ivy and bittersweet maybe. The hairy vine is PI

Poison Ivy.jpeg
I stole this figured it would help someone
To anyone who is allergic to poison ivy... I have learned a very helpful and useful trick!!
My brother can say poison ivy and boom... COVERED. So we were always looking for new ways to help rid him of this itchy red blotchy mess!
So all you need is brown paper bags (like the brown lunch sacks, 1000 for $1 anywhere) and apple cider vinegar. Simple! Cut the bag in strips as big as the spots you’ll be covering and soak those strips in the vinegar. Simply apply to the areas and allow to air dry (about 15 min).
You will see, physically, the oil being pulled from the ivy spots! It is amazing!!
Really a good hack if you're prone to the itchy red monster!!"

Edit: I saw this on Facebook.....so it must be true. Grin. Sounded good.

I am pretty fortunate, poison ivy has virtually no affect on me. If I am in shorts, and have bare skin, I will feel a slight burn, or itch for a couple minutes on sensitive areas, like inner thighs, under my biceps, neck, eyes, but other then that, I can pull them out by hand, without gloves, and as long as I dont touch the sensitive area, and I wash my hands when I am done, I wouldnt even know it was poison ivy.

Kinda like bees, and wasps, they will rarely bite or sting me, and when I have been stung, about 5 minutes later, nothing.

Now gnats, and mosquitos love me, and I get welts from the bites.
I hate spiders, but they seem to love me. Not necessary bite me, just always walking on me, or will walk at me when on the ground.

I use rubbing alcohol. Scratch it open and wipe. Burns like a *&^%$ but then dries up right fast.

Pi is very nasty. It will kill the tree if it grows up it. Cut the root at the base and watch it wither and die above. Spray brush killer concentrate on to the stump roots.

I am pretty fortunate, poison ivy has virtually no affect on me. If I am in shorts, and have bare skin, I will feel a slight burn, or itch for a couple minutes on sensitive areas, like inner thighs, under my biceps, neck, eyes, but other then that, I can pull them out by hand, without gloves, and as long as I dont touch the sensitive area, and I wash my hands when I am done, I wouldnt even know it was poison ivy.

Kinda like bees, and wasps, they will rarely bite or sting me, and when I have been stung, about 5 minutes later, nothing.

Now gnats, and mosquitos love me, and I get welts from the bites.
I hate spiders, but they seem to love me. Not necessary bite me, just always walking on me, or will walk at me when on the ground.
Be careful, as poison ivy immunity can go away and one's sensitivity can change. I am fairly sensitive to poison ivy, but my wife WAS like you, it had virtually no affect on her...until last week. She was cleaning PI from the fence line, as she does every year. However, this year different. For the past 10 days she has had a miserable rash.

Here is a quote from Healthline Medical Journal:

Remember, everyone has the potential to react to urushiol. While some people are less sensitive to it than others, increased exposures can eventually cause them to have a reaction.

My recommendation: Treat PI carefully, wear gloves, don't re-wear cloths or gloves before washing and wash areas potentially in contact with PH with lots of soap and water.

We have a couple of acres of PI along with large PI vines on our property. It is a challenges to eradicate, but we are making progress.

Far as killing it, I use gly on the leaves, but when cutting the trunk of the wine, I use tordon RTU Green. Green is picloram and 2,4D, red is triclopyr. Worried about killing neighboring trees even more, than just a bit of diesel on the vine. I've used the green for about 2 years so far, no unintended kills or sick trees yet.

Poison Ivy had roots that can dig into the tree going up. When cutting the vine, pull up as much as you can overhead. The overhead one I haven't used the green tordon RTU on any big trees yet, but has used diesel successfully. Just have it under control pretty good. Killed a bunch of mature vines about 4 years ago and just keep it at bay since then. Since then I have improved my top tree kills by tying a rope to the top section of the vine and pulling it down.

I have 2 mature black walnuts and a hickory or two growing poison ivy on the tree top with just the roots into the tree bark.

Far as taking care of yourself. Full coverup. I find the fishing long sleeve lycra or stretchy ones seem to work ok at keeping the leaves from getting you. When done working on it lightly, I use gojo. I wash my hands clean with gojo, then reapply gojo and let it sit like 30 seconds to loosen that oil. Then start washing it off with just a bit of water at time. IF you really got into it, I bring the gojo into the shower for my arms and legs. Then use that tecnu on dried off skin, then wash it off aster a minute or so. Son-in-law works on fiber optic overhead lines and is real sensitive to ivy, tecnu works well for him too.

Also, you can get poison ivy from handling rabbits or cleaning them after a hunt. Rabbits love to eat poison ivy

I didnt know it would go woody with age on the vining varieties, learn something new all the time, wonder if its just a curse of living down south. Up here its usually very low, rarely vines and when it does its pretty minimal. We just logged a few years ago so it is blowing up everywhere around here. Im lucky I rarely get it but I am pretty strict about washing up after contact even though we almost swim in it. Good soap and scrub a dub within a few hours of contact....

We have tons of small sprouts on the ground throughout the growing season, but the vines in trees can be the size of your wrist. When we first purchased the property, I used Tordon on cut vines and ended up killing some of the trees they were on. Now I use 41% glyphos, the concentrated solution I get by the gallon, and just paint or sponge it onto the cut stem. The stuff on the ground is too pervasive to treat, so I just don't roll around much.

The biggest PITA has been that it gets into the dead ash, and when they fall, they're tough to cut up without getting ivy on you. We've pushed a bunch of trail-centric trees over prophylactically to minimize their coming down in storms, but when I do have to cut one off the trail, I make sure that I wash with Tecnu and most importantly, use abrasion when you wash - Brillo pads work great. Nothing on it's own works well without some abrasion, but with abrasion, even Dawn works.

I got poison ivy rash every time I went to my property this summer. I don't get it very bad ever, but I keep getting it. I have a decent rash on my arm right now, but its going away pretty quickly. Been doing lots of ground clearing with my silky saw to install my weed mats this summer. I'm not very good about washing my arms off. 99% of the time I wear long sleeves and mechanics gloves. Usually starts on my wrist. Thought about starting to wrap my wrist with ace bandage or something similar so I leave nothing exposed.

Be careful, as poison ivy immunity can go away and one's sensitivity can change.
True that.
Not for me, I've always been uber-sensitive. Still am.
But I know several fellows who used to be immune....now ain't.

One was a contract logger....(and near 60!...made of barb-wire!)...anyway, at about 55 he lost his immunity. And he is in......seriously in.... poison ivy infested ground every week. Now he is just ultra careful. He logs with his son. The son has always been allergic to it. So, now.....it is like son, like father.

Others guys I know (2 of 'em) lost their immunity when they were in their 50's.

I don’t get poison ivy very easy, maybe every few years I get a small line of it in my wrist or face but not enough to ever be a problem. My youngest son and wife get it really easy so have to be careful, they even get it from cross transference from the dog I think if she ran through it.

On the back side of one of our orchards we have some crazy poison ivy. It gets a couple feet tall or more, throws berries and almost looks like little poison ivy trees in spots with little wood trunks.
IMG_5953.jpeg
IMG_5954.jpeg
IMG_5948.jpeg