Points for western hunting

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Anyone else play this game? I’m not that into it because it’s a full time job to do it right, but I don’t play in Utah cause I started years ago and can’t stop now. Just submitted my application for the 15th year in a row. I only get points for now. I have 15 elk, 8 deer, 14 desert bighorn and a handful for moose, Rocky mtn bighorn and bison. Guess I will cash out on elk one of these days. Sheep is a pipe dream but might as well try.

I'm in for multiple species in AZ, NV, WY, MT, and CO every year. Dabble in NM and ID occasionally.

For me it's all about have the ability to get 1 or 2 decent tags each fall more so than chasing glory tags. It's not a good time to get started in the points game but its better than starting in 2 years. Points/tags are cheap compared to habitat work IMO.

It's a racket that I don't see an end in sight. If a person has the money they can bypass the point game in several states but the vast majority will have to play it.

Some don't mind slogging it out in CO otc units to be able to say they hunt elk each year but if they're honest about it they probably will see a lot of other hunters and no elk.

I play the point game in one state and have been blessed to hunt elk several times in the past 14 years. I'll keep putting in until my health will stop me from being able to do what I need to do to get into elk and get one back to camp.

The pursuit of elk helps me the mindset of staying healthy to be able to keep doing it, which helps keep me going longer in life in general.

It's a racket that I don't see an end in sight. If a person has the money they can bypass the point game in several states but the vast majority will have to play it.

Some don't mind slogging it out in CO otc units to be able to say they hunt elk each year but if they're honest about it they probably will see a lot of other hunters and no elk.

I play the point game in one state and have been blessed to hunt elk several times in the past 14 years. I'll keep putting in until my health will stop me from being able to do what I need to do to get into elk and get one back to camp.

The pursuit of elk helps me the mindset of staying healthy to be able to keep doing it, which helps keep me going longer in life in general.
Im not sure what else the states can do though. There are more people than available land and game so they have to ration it. We can argue which method is the most “fair” but they have to limit the amount of tags to preserve the game.

I have bought 2 landowner tags in the Gila in New Mexico and hunted elk as a resident of Colorado back some years ago. The price of poker for circumventing the point system has gotten so high I can’t justify it and the pressure in otc units is so bad, I’m going to stay on the sidelines until I draw.

Between MT, ID, WY, and low/mid point CO tags, a "decent" elk hunt can be had annually but it is trending in the wrong direction. Quality of MT hunts is declining, WY is going to be a long term only state for bulls pretty soon, ID is getting tougher to draw.. Good thing I'm in for Mule deer and antelope too.

Pretty depressing for someone wanting glory tags but if a guy just wants a hunt and a chance, there's opportunity out there. A flatlander starting from scratch with no experience does have an uphill battle and needs to be pretty dedicated if they want a good chance at a nice DIY elk.

Last edited:
My friend has I believe the best quote about glory tags.

” when I shoot a cow elk, there is often a big bull standing next to it.”

I wish you could sell them or gift them. I’ve got lots of Wyoming deer and elk points. If I don’t apply for more at least every 2 years I loose them all. Don’t know at this point if I’ll ever use them.

I wish you could sell them or gift them. I’ve got lots of Wyoming deer and elk points. If I don’t apply for more at least every 2 years I loose them all. Don’t know at this point if I’ll ever use them.
I THINK you can donate them to an active military personnel in wyoming.

I THINK you can donate them to an active military personnel in wyoming.

You can donate a license to military personnel, I haven't heard about points.

At best you could share them in WY. I.E. Wind Gypsy goes elk hunting in WY this year and burns his preference points. Next year, Bill and Wind Gypsy go into the draw as a party with Bill's 10 preference points and they are able to draw tags requiring their party average of 5 points. Wind Gypsy pays for gas and lodging. There are a couple guys on western forums known for doing this near annually in WY with folks who are willing to share their points whether it's for the benefit of having an experienced partner or if there is some under the table $ exchange (not sure on legality?).

Why don't you use them Bill?

You can donate a license to military personnel, I haven't heard about points.

At best you could share them in WY. I.E. Wind Gypsy goes elk hunting in WY this year and burns his preference points. Next year, Bill and Wind Gypsy go into the draw as a party with Bill's 10 preference points and they are able to draw tags requiring their party average of 5 points. Wind Gypsy pays for gas and lodging. There are a couple guys on western forums known for doing this near annually in WY with folks who are willing to share their points whether it's for the benefit of having an experienced partner or if there is some under the table $ exchange (not sure on legality?).

Yeah I guess he could always draw a hunt with his points and then donate them to a military personnel. I think that’s how it works. I

Hate to say it. I have no more interest in it.

When we hunted west it was always DIY. Lots of work involved. Trying to rent horses, set up camp, lug in gear, etc.

I’m spoiled on my farm. Heat, hot water, dish network and a full size stove.

Best of all when I put my pants on in the morning there not frozen.

Some of the raffles are better chances,I won the CO statewide moose tag a few years ago for 100.00 worth of tickets.Colorado SCI has tickets for sale right now,NM elk,CO deer,elk,moose and lots of guns.Every western state has raffles

Hate to say it. I have no more interest in it.

When we hunted west it was always DIY. Lots of work involved. Trying to rent horses, set up camp, lug in gear, etc.

I’m spoiled on my farm. Heat, hot water, dish network and a full size stove.

Best of all when I put my pants on in the morning there not frozen.

Don't blame you, have to embrace the suck a bit as part of the adventure. If not it's pretty unappealing!

I've always looked at the easier to draw hunts that took a lot of work like you discussed but there's probably some lower ground opportunities where you could stay in a cabin or hotel depending on how many points you have.

Don't blame you, have to embrace the suck a bit as part of the adventure. If not it's pretty unappealing!

I've always looked at the easier to draw hunts that took a lot of work like you discussed but there's probably some lower ground opportunities where you could stay in a cabin or hotel depending on how many points you have.

I'd feel like I was cheating. :emoji_smile:

The only Elk I ever killed was uphill about 3 hours from our camp. I spent the night under a dead fall that had room under it for me and my bag, and it was perfect to drape the tarp I brought over. Killed one at last light and spent the night under that tree again.

I buried some peanut butter and 1/2 gallon of water for when I came back. That was, oooooh, about 20 years ago. I hope a squirrel managed to gnaw into that peanut butter....

But you're right. I guess I should look into some low country easy guided hunt. Think I'm over 10 points on both deer and Elk.

To me .......... if I ain’t hunting elk with a bow and arrow....... or tracking in fresh snow

Easy harvest is the way to go

My youngest son plays the points game in a few western states. He has hunted elk/mulies/pronghorns in a couple different states, always public and unguided..usually with bow. He has had very good luck filling tags.
Both my boys go out fly fishing up in the mountians all over the west...way up in the mountians. To much hiking for me.