Plot begins

WNY8N

Yearling... With promise
Ok guys, first let me give you a little backdrop on our place. Our property is all timber and so is just about everyone else around us. There are a couple crp fields that border the back side of our place. Besides any food plots others might be planting there is not an ag field for miles. Really our area is woods and more woods.
I have been trying for yrs to get a food plot started but it's been tough getting my dad and brother on board but I finally got the ok last winter. We had a Forrester come look at our place for a select harvest last winter and I marked out an area and told him I wanted him to take all the trees in this area. (They didn't start logging till Sept) It's not as big as I'd like but it will have to do. It's roughly about the size of a football field.
Today I spend a few hrs cutting any small trees they won't take for firewood. Here are some early picsKIMG0282.JPGKIMG0282.JPGKIMG0358.JPGKIMG0384.JPGKIMG0357.JPGKIMG0358.JPG

WNY , the forester/loggers wouldn’t cut all the trees in the food plot area? Are you planning on having them come in with a bulldozer for the stumps and to level the land? I’m interested because I have a similar plan in mind for my property and would like to know the cost.

I am sure it’s just me not knowing your property but when I look at the photos I see sunlight issues. Is that plot as narrow as it looks?

WNY , the forester/loggers wouldn’t cut all the trees in the food plot area? Are you planning on having them come in with a bulldozer for the stumps and to level the land? I’m interested because I have a similar plan in mind for my property and would like to know the cost.

so there are a bunch of small diameter sized trees they don't want and yeah at some point after they finish logging they will doze the area. Cost wise it will cost between 750 and a grand to clear it. If you consider the price for the trees they removed in the plot there really is little to no cost.

I am sure it’s just me not knowing your property but when I look at the photos I see sunlight issues. Is that plot as narrow as it looks?
Yeah I think their could be but if I have to drop some more afterwards will be able to, always need firewood! Length of plot runs north to south fyi and they still have a lot more to take out.

If you hire someone to clear it with a dozer, be sure to hire someone who knows how to do food plots. Most dozer operators do a great job of clearing for development but have no idea how to do it for food plots where saving top soil is the primary concern.

Thanks,

Jack

If you hire someone to clear it with a dozer, be sure to hire someone who knows how to do food plots. Most dozer operators do a great job of clearing for development but have no idea how to do it for food plots where saving top soil is the primary concern.

Thanks,

Jack
Yeah ur right, our guy does food plots full time so hopefully will be ok. Also I'm going to have him push most of the debris to the north and east side of the plot. East side will serve the purpose of screening them off down wind access and also will block screen the neighbors from seeing it. North end will have an enclosed stand to hunt from (son is almost of age for the youth hunt) so will have a spot for him and it will have great access to it.