Please ID - Thanks!

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Found this one on the farm - I know zippo about mushrooms - Can you ID it? Thanks!

mushroom.jpg mushroom1A.jpg

It looks like some kind of Bolete but had to tell for sure without seeing under the cap to see if it has gills or pores. If it has gills it isn't a Bolete. Best guess is a Chrome Foot Bolete?

It looks like some kind of Bolete but had to tell for sure without seeing under the cap to see if it has gills or pores. If it has gills it isn't a Bolete. Best guess is a Chrome Foot Bolete?

Thanks PRK - I am headed back to the farm this weekend, I will see what's under the cap. Thanks for the reply!

Looks like some kind of Bolete to me to. If you want to see something cool with boletes, turn them upside down and on the bottom take a stick,pen, or something to scratch the bottom with. Gently write your name, a lot of boletes will instantly pump out a blue/green ink where you wrote. If it turns blue you know it is inedible. Some of the edible ones won't bruise ink, but even if they don't doesn't mean they are edible.

Doesn't look like anything edible I've researched. Don't boletes typically have a thicker stalk to them?

I found this one and it kinda looks like the one in your picture.
yall think this is the same kind? I dont know anything about them either.

I found this one and it kinda looks like the one in your picture.
yall think this is the same kind? I dont know anything about them either.

Hey Huntall, They look somewhat similar - I did a Google search and found a mushroom society here in Wisconsin. I emailed a couple of photo's of the mushrooms to them tonight. I will let you know if I receive a reply...;)

I think red is a universal no-no. Only range of exception would be chicken of the woods which is more orange to yellow, but very easily identified.

Ok...thanks

I think red is a universal no-no. Only range of exception would be chicken of the woods which is more orange to yellow, but very easily identified.
Their are red chanterelles that are edible, they usually grow with the yellow chants. That's the only one I know .

Their are red chanterelles that are edible, they usually grow with the yellow chants. That's the only one I know .
You are right. I keep forgetting those. I've never found one, but would certainly like to once.

Hey Huntall, Here's the reply I received on the red-orange colored mushroom, "some sort of bolete but not enough image nor info to go on. It will have pores or tubes underneath (not gills like a button mushroom or the blue Cortinarius )". This year I have spent more time walking around verses riding on the ATV - saw lots of interesting mushrooms. I need to buy a mushroom book so I can learn more!

Ruskbucks - You were right-on with the ID. Thank you...;)

Hey Huntall, Here's the reply I received on the red-orange colored mushroom, "some sort of bolete but not enough image nor info to go on. It will have pores or tubes underneath (not gills like a button mushroom or the blue Cortinarius )". This year I have spent more time walking around verses riding on the ATV - saw lots of interesting mushrooms. I need to buy a mushroom book so I can learn more!

Ruskbucks - You were right-on with the ID. Thank you...;)
Thanks! IJust started looking at the mushrooms when I'm in the woods after looking at some of you talking about mushrooms on here.

Thanks! IJust started looking at the mushrooms when I'm in the woods after looking at some of you talking about mushrooms on here.

Looking is all that I am interested in doing - I am wise enough to not trust my ability to ID edible mushrooms...;)

Get a good field guide and go out and try to identify them. It's lots of fun. We have a bunch of different mushroom books that we use. I'll bet you have a mushroom club close by that you can go for walks with and get comfortable picking out the edible ones.