Planting trees

chucho23

Buck Fawn
I'm new but have a question about where you would plant some oaks and fruit trees if you were in my position. I have some land in Kansas that doesn't have any mast producing trees on it. I have some food plots planted on it. They are the areas in red. There is a creek that runs through the property. I believe deer bed there as well as in the trees which run north and south as well as on the southern end of the property. My thoughts were to put some fruit/oaks in the areas of green. What are your thoughts? Is there a better place to put them. I could access both of those areas fairly easily. Predominate winds are north/south here. A paved road is at the top and right side of of the screen (north and east). Native grasses are throughout where there are no trees.Land pic.png

It depends on your goals (primarily timing of "the fruits of your labor").

Many fruit trees will typically take 4-5 years (ish) to bear.
Oaks I believe will be considerably longer (aside form some of the scrub oaks)

Personally I planted some chestnut trees that were 2 years old when planted and they took 5 years to produce their first crop. The crop wasn't "great" in that I'm hoping the first crop from immature trees doesn't represent what they will look like next year or beyond (the nuts inside were small/shriveled). I have 4 of these trees, 3 apple and 2 pear trees all in the same 1.5 acre plot that when properly done is a clover plot. The chestnuts are the only producers so far and all of those trees were planted 5 years ago (they were not seedlings when planted). My fingers are crossed that next year will be a banner year and I'll have apples, pears and chestnuts.

Dwarf Chinquapin oak is the fastest oak I've seen in terms of producing acorns. When 35-acre says 4-5 years, he is talking about under optimal conditions. As he says, it depends on your goals. A few trees for attraction is different than planting trees to feed deer. Location may depend on the kind of trees you choose as well. There is lots to consider.

Look at sunshine and where you can maintain without disturbing everything.If you plant around food plots make sure you leave large gaps or plant where they won't block view from stands later.You might find some .late dropping apples or crabs but most everything will be eaten by the early season.Make sure you only plant what you can maintain and get tubes for oaks and fence fruit trees.You might check some local nurseries for some substandard oaks that are balled trees.I planted a few of these and you can get seedlings from Kansas forest service.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

Look at sunshine and where you can maintain without disturbing everything.If you plant around food plots make sure you leave large gaps or plant where they won't block view from stands later.You might find some .late dropping apples or crabs but most everything will be eaten by the early season.Make sure you only plant what you can maintain and get tubes for oaks and fence fruit trees.You might check some local nurseries for some substandard oaks that are balled trees.I planted a few of these and you can get seedlings from Kansas forest service.
Great points. Things I considered but definitely important to not block shooting from stands.

I did choose pears as they are supposed to drop later - but who knows?? Each tree is unique.