Planting Brassicas After Buckwheat

mmilanovich

Buck Fawn
Hi guys,

This year for the first time I planted buckwheat. For the fall I would like to plant my typical brassica mix. Can I get some feedback on approaches to plant the brassicas in the buckwheat plots? Throw and mow? Do people spray the buckwheat? Thanks for all your ideas and help…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd spray the buckwheat, It kills pretty easily and use it as my thatch for TNM. Brassicas will be just fine coming up under the dead buckwheat.

Throw, Cultipack/Roll Then spray is my plan. Jeff Sturgis has some good videos regarding this exact method on his YouTube channel, Whitetail Habitat Solutions

1. Broadcast the brassicas into the standing buckwheat.
2a. Roll it flat and spray it to kill it.
OR (my preference)
2b. Mow the buckwheat and let the thatch cover your fresh brassica seed. Don't absolutely smother it, but a good covering will be just the ticket.

Did your buckwheat go to seed yet? If so, I'd just spray it and broadcast the brassicas into the dead, standing buckwheat.

If your buckwheat has gone to seed and that seed hits the ground by brush hog or cultipacking you might end up with a second crop of buckwheat that could smother your brassicas.

I wouldn't bother with spraying it. I'd broadcast the brassicas and mow the buckwheat. If any buckwheat seeds germinate I would consider it a bonus.

I didn't get to my buckwheat in time and it went to seed. I didn't spray it, just ran the disc over the green buckwheat. Then I seeded brassicas. This was a huge mistake the buckwheat totally shaded out my you brassicas and was a total failure .

Hi guys,

This year for the first time I planted buckwheat. For the fall I would like to plant my typical brassica mix. Can I get some feedback on approaches to plant the brassicas in the buckwheat plots? Throw and mow? Do people spray the buckwheat? Thanks for all your ideas and help…

You don't need to spray the buckwheat unless it is full of noxious weeds you need to control. Simply broadcast your seed into the standing buckwheat. Then cultipack if you have a cultipacker. Otherwise mow. You want the buckwheat on the ground. Cultipacking helps as it pushes the seed into the ground and puts an uneven surface on the ground to help rain soak in, but just mowing will work. You just get better germination rates with cultipacking.

Consider including a legume in your brassica mix. It will help you keep from depleting N from your soil.

You don't have your location in your profile, so I'm not sure where you are located. In my area, zone 7A, it is way to early for a fall plant.

Thanks,

Jack

You don't need to spray the buckwheat unless it is full of noxious weeds you need to control. Simply broadcast your seed into the standing buckwheat. Then cultipack if you have a cultipacker. Otherwise mow. You want the buckwheat on the ground. Cultipacking helps as it pushes the seed into the ground and puts an uneven surface on the ground to help rain soak in, but just mowing will work. You just get better germination rates with cultipacking.

Consider including a legume in your brassica mix. It will help you keep from depleting N from your soil.

You don't have your location in your profile, so I'm not sure where you are located. In my area, zone 7A, it is way to early for a fall plant.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack,
Any recommendations for a legume to mix with the brassicas in zone 5? Red clover? Peas?

Jack,
Any recommendations for a legume to mix with the brassicas in zone 5? Red clover? Peas?

Pea seeds are a little large and some don't T&M well. For a fall plant I like an annual clover. In my are Crimson acts as a reseeding annual that works well. It will bounce back in the spring. Depending on what brassica you use, you may need t terminate it in the spring. If you mow to terminate, it won't hurt the crimson and it will cover early spring until you are ready to plant again. If you want to skip planting next fall, a short-lived perennial like medium red clover is another good choice. Both T&M pretty well.

Pea seeds are a little large and some don't T&M well. For a fall plant I like an annual clover. In my are Crimson acts as a reseeding annual that works well. It will bounce back in the spring. Depending on what brassica you use, you may need t terminate it in the spring. If you mow to terminate, it won't hurt the crimson and it will cover early spring until you are ready to plant again. If you want to skip planting next fall, a short-lived perennial like medium red clover is another good choice. Both T&M pretty well.
Got it!
Thanks Jack

Hi guys,

What is a typical brassica mix?

I’ve had great luck with TNM peas but every situation his different.