Planting Apple trees

Scenttrails

5 year old buck +
I have 14 Apple and crab trees coming from St.Lawrence and Cummins. Can I dig my holes ahead of time? If so , about what size dimension should the hole be?

I have 14 Apple and crab trees coming from St.Lawrence and Cummins. Can I dig my holes ahead of time? If so , about what size dimension should the hole be?

Yes, dig them early. Trees from St. Lawrence come with a neat little Guide to Planting that will come in useful.

Last edited:
2' wide, 1 1/2 to 2' deep. You want the young roots to have plenty of room to grow before hitting hard pan

I have my cages cut and ready to go to save time. You can even precut the window screen. I used roundup last summer in the planting sites, added some lime, and dug the ground up a bit to work the lime in.

What varieties did you order?

Scenttrails you might look back through the fruit tree thread. Not sure where I posted (Found it. Posted originally on Dec19th) it before on actually digging a saucer shaped hole it was a university study. Wide gently tapering holes were found to be the most beneficial for root development. Just deep enough to get the tree to proper depth.

Last edited:
Scenttrails you might look back through the fruit tree thread. Not sure where I posted (Found it. Posted originally on Dec19th) it before on actually digging a saucer shaped hole it was a university study. Wide gently tapering holes were found to be the most beneficial for root development. Just deep enough to get the tree to proper depth.
I remember that article. That was a good read. I thought I knew how to plant a tree till I read that one

Agree with Bur. I did the same.

What varieties did you order?
Sandbur,

I ordered 3 Dolgo Crab, 2 Chestnut crab, 2 Kerr Crab, 1 All Winter Crab, 1 Winter Wildlifr Crab, and
1 each of Enterprise, Goldrush, Haralson, Liberty and Honeycrisp, almost all on B118 rootstock.
I have my concrete wire bought when Menards had the sale, just need to cut to size this week.

thanks I'll go back and read. I have been trying to absorb all I've learned here from everyone.

Thanks everyone. I feel you all have prepared me well for my first try at planting Apple trees. Once they are in I hope Mother Nature cooperates with rain this summer though I'm prepared to haul water if I have to. I plan of grouping 3-4 together in different spots on the property.

Sandbur,

I ordered 3 Dolgo Crab, 2 Chestnut crab, 2 Kerr Crab, 1 All Winter Crab, 1 Winter Wildlifr Crab, and
1 each of Enterprise, Goldrush, Haralson, Liberty and Honeycrisp, almost all on B118 rootstock.
I have my concrete wire bought when Menards had the sale, just need to cut to size this week.

Aren't all the trees from SLN on standard rootstock? I've planted a several dozen trees from them in the past and I've been impressed with their survival rate. I might try bone B118 rootstock next year though since SLN is retiring.

I always prefer to dig the holes and put up the tree cages and cut the window screen ahead of time whenever possible, but I don't think it will have any impact on the survival rate as long as you water them either way.

Aren't all the trees from SLN on standard rootstock? I've planted a several dozen trees from them in the past and I've been impressed with their survival rate. I might try bone B118 rootstock next year though since SLN is retiring.

I always prefer to dig the holes and put up the tree cages and cut the window screen ahead of time whenever possible, but I don't think it will have any impact on the survival rate as long as you water them either way.
Not sure about SLN but Cummins mostly B-118. They even let me switch my original order after I learned here that B-118 was recommended.

SLN grafts their trees onto Antonovka rootstock, which will give you a full-sized tree. All the trees I've gotten from them have done really well on the Antonovka roots. No complaints with Cummins either. I have trees on B-118 and MM-111 from Cummins and they are kicking butt as well. That's a real good list of trees you chose to plant. Good luck Scenttrails with your trees. Keep 'em watered.

SLN grafts their trees onto Antonovka rootstock, which will give you a full-sized tree. All the trees I've gotten from them have done really well on the Antonovka roots. No complaints with Cummins either. I have trees on B-118 and MM-111 from Cummins and they are kicking butt as well. That's a real good list of trees you chose to plant. Good luck Scenttrails with your trees. Keep 'em watered.
Thanks Bowsnbucks but all credit on the selection goes to you and others on here.

Scenttrails - I'm a fairly newb to the apple planting world. What I NOW know and try to share is what I've learned from the veteran apple guys like Stu, Maya, N.H. Mtns., Turkey Creek, Crazy Ed, Aerospacefarmer, etc. I also learned from THEM !! Glad to share what I've learned ...... and still learning.