Pinto beans

TreeDaddy

5 year old buck +
Sam's Club sells these for25$/50 #

Anyone ever tried these in a warm season plot mix?

bill

Catscratch grew some dry edible beans as an experiment. Not sure if he ever went full plot with them.

For $25 - give them a shot and pay close attention and report back. Plant based on rates for soybeans. Biggest issue will be weed control and browse pressure.....I am sure the deer will eat nearly anything that is actively growing.

In for the results of this.

Love this forum and all you creative/crazy people that make it happen. In for results as well.

give them a fighting chance, inoculate them

^^^^^^

Now theres a thought........

bill

Catscratch grew some dry edible beans as an experiment. Not sure if he ever went full plot with them.
I went full plot with them... Highly successful early summer plot, but they never got more than 4in tall before deer mowed them down... The ones I protected made pods and beans but without protection my plots were to small to stay ahead of the browse.

I think this could be an interesting narrow window food source for archery hunters or those that have season that open real early. Plant your "deer garden" and protect it from being destroyed but let the deer have enough that they figure it out. Then a week or even the night before your opener - remove that protection and just wait. I have considered doing this with some sort of climbing bean or the like. I typically do not hunt early season because the deer I am after are not around...however this may be just the ticket for a youth hunt in september to get a youngster their first deer. My "plan" for my climbing plant would be to use a 4' tall wire cage to protect the main portion of the plant and then whatever grow over the top the deer could have.....I would stake the cage with 2 T posts because the deer may get pretty aggressive in trying to get to the rest of the plant.

No problem

I bought (2) 8 lb bags at walmart for $5.50 each. I inncoculated one bag and the other I did not. They are both growing fantastic in a mix with oats and peas I put in a week ago. I'm hoping the deer leave them alone for now.

Generally speaking, no legume NEEDS to be inoculated just to germinate and grow, only to produce free N within the root nodules. For a deer plotter, you will not be likely to notice the difference either way, as stated above. That said, if you grow an annual legume plot to maturity or are growing a perennial legume, a small pouch of inoculant is a hellava lot cheaper way to add N for next years crop opposed to buying massive amounts of urea. A good inoculated legume crop could provide up to 50% of the N needed for the next crop.