All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick my last tree

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have a King David, Mary Reid, Ashmead Kernal, Newton Pippen, E. spitzenberg, and Cox Orange Pippen left over from my century Farms shipment. I only have room for one more tree. The rest go to a friend. I have other Ashmeads, Spitz, and Newton. What tree would you pick and why. Trees are in zone 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See my edit 2 posts down. Sorry but I didn't read your question closely enough, but I will leave my original response below.

If it’s for deer, there is no apple for Zone 6 that I have found better than Yates. It has been slowly dropping for weeks and still has 40% apples hanging. That means it will drop into the KY gun season. It is difficult to find an apple that will do that. Yates is also highly disease resistant and almost always productive. I have some other cultivars planted that may eventually beat it, but for now it is the king for me.

What you will find in my state is that it’s hard to find an apple or crabapple that drops in November. Most apples are finished before then and most crabapples hang too long. This isn’t the case for northern guys, but it is the case here.

Last edited:
I'll second the Yates. Mine, as of yet, has been very problem free. Taste good too!
Here it is from a few weeks ago.
bf028916e8343e32e141d738b41ed68e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

If it’s for deer, there is no apple for Zone 6 that I have found better than Yates. It has been slowly dropping for weeks and still has 40% apples hanging. That means it will drop into the KY gun season. It is difficult to find an apple that will do that. Yates is also highly disease resistant and almost always productive. I have some other cultivars planted that may eventually beat it, but for now it is the king for me.

What you will find in my state is that it’s hard to find an apple or crabapple that drops in November. Most apples are finished before then and most crabapples hang too long. This isn’t the case for northern guys, but it is the case here.
Edit - I just realized I didn't read your post closely enough. Sorry about that. The only one of those you are asking about that I have is King David. It starts out great for me but the apples rot before they eventually fall off the tree in late summer.

I'll second the Yates. Mine, as of yet, has been very problem free. Taste good too!
Here it is from a few weeks ago.
bf028916e8343e32e141d738b41ed68e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yes sir Merle. That is exactly what mine looks like too. Awesome pic.

If you are eating them which I think you are if I remember right go with another ashmead. I got my first batch this year and I have never tasted an apple close to it. Very unique and says it taste best after a couple months in storage. Added bonus is they hang into November if you want to leave them for deer.

Here is a third vote for Yates.

Now four and four and five there are options for thru Nov/Dec. Ny.

Last edited: