pH 7.3 for Brassicas?

I bought a reliable and accurate soil test kit (I have a college minor in chemistry) and did the analysis multiple times with the pH results consistently at 5.8 (+/- 0.01). So, the meter I used before was garbage.
I’ll be applying Plot Start from Deergro today to bring the pH to 6.5, which should be optimal for the brassicas and cereal grains.
I have used liquid cal with good success. I am getting where I think the liquid options applied just before planting look better and better. It will make sure whatever you are growing that cycle has improved pH, which then helps with the whole growing green and no till process. Listening to some of the old-timers they no longer apply Lime once this process is going.

Thanks for the heads up on the pH meter vs accurate soil test results - 7.3 to 5.8 is a significant difference. I don't think I will be using a pH meter any time soon here.
I would honestly like to know if there’s one out there worth buying. I just can’t see how there would be. I bought one, tried it, and got the same nonsense as the OP. Garbage product as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
I have used liquid cal with good success. I am getting where I think the liquid options applied just before planting look better and better. It will make sure whatever you are growing that cycle has improved pH, which then helps with the whole growing green and no till process. Listening to some of the old-timers they no longer apply Lime once this process is going.

I tried these options last year and wasn't impressed. Maybe had to do with a very low PH to start with? Possibly some very large monsoons we were hit with in northern WI. I will try them again in the future on new plots for sure, but last year I considered it a huge bust.

I tried these options last year and wasn't impressed. Maybe had to do with a very low PH to start with? Possibly some very large monsoons we were hit with in northern WI. I will try them again in the future on new plots for sure, but last year I considered it a huge bust.
I’m sorry to hear that my man. I did go with Agritec Lime called advancecal. I do think it is a cut above the small products like plot starter.

This article doesn’t make a guy overly eager to purchase plotstart.

I also still put out as much pellet lime as I can. Hopefully I will get where I don’t have to do anything at some point.

Don’t see how they’re going to stuff a ton of lime in a 2.5 gallon jug. Someone that’s much smarter than me with this stuff said it’s only good for melting ice. He works at a place that sells the stuff.

Don’t see how they’re going to stuff a ton of lime in a 2.5 gallon jug. Someone that’s much smarter than me with this stuff said it’s only good for melting ice. He works at a place that sells the stuff.
Well. I bought a 55gallon drum so there is that. Recommended by my farmer friend. Lots of farmers only use if liquids now. Maybe us food plotters are the ones behind.

It’s my understanding we are trying to get ph right, not add calcium or magnesium or lime or anything else. So I’ve always read that “you can’t replace 2 tons of lime with 2 gallons” but I say….maybe.

Last edited:
Well. I bought a 55gallon drum so there is that. Recommended by my farmer friend. Lots of farmers only use if liquids now. Maybe us food plotters are the ones behind.

It’s my understanding we are trying to get ph right, not add calcium or magnesium or lime or anything else. So I’ve always read that “you can’t replace 2 tons of lime with 2 gallons” but I say….maybe.

Good luck. Hope it works out like you hope .