Persimmons

Black Swamp

5 year old buck +
should I tube or cage my seedling persimmons.

Maybe. I've had some browsed either by deer or rabbits. Some very young seedlings were destroyed. Larger seedlings saw some browse. Not a common tree in my area so I cannot say if that played a factor. I will tube my next batch.

should I tube or cage my seedling persimmons.

It may depend on your location. I have plenty of native persimmons growing on my place and deer don't bother them much. I generally don't tube or cage persimmons. I do cage apple/pear.

Thanks,

Jack

Well I already have them caged. I was just wondering if tubing them would be if any advantage?

Well I already have them caged. I was just wondering if tubing them would be if any advantage?

I wouldn't bother. When cost difference is not an issue, I like cages over tubes. Tube manufacturers will make claims about improved growth in tubes. Tubes can have both positive an negative effects depending on conditions. I'd say in general it is a wash. When you need some protection and are planning in volume where cost is an issue, for many trees, tubes are a fit. If you have gone to the cost of caging I wouldn't add a tube. One exception might be if you have rodent issues. You can use an 18" tube to protect the lower portion of the trunk or you can use hardware cloth or some other method.

Thanks,

Jack

I planted 85 from seed 3 years ago & put 40 in tree tubes (Plantra ) and the balance with no protection. 17 of the unprotected trees were dug up by animals in the first 60 days . The tree tubes I used were 6' and all the 40 have grown 6-8" out the top of the tubes as of last fall . I plan on planting 60 more all in tubes come fall again from seed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would tube the bottom 24" so rabbits don't girdle them. If your snow gets deep perhaps you want to have a higher tube.

I planted 50 seedlings; 25 tubed and 25 unprotected. The unprotected seedlings got hammered by deer and ultimately required protection. So at our place they have to be protected.