All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Persimmon question

You might want to be clearer on things like that in the future. You were quoting my post, so therefore your answer was directed at me rather than any "layman." It seemed to me like a backdoor and underhanded way of telling me that I didn't understand what I had read.

As far as the article, if you have a problem with the wording, you should contact the University of Kentucky about it.
Sorry, it was not directed at you, just addressing to the information you provided. Noting you said was incorrect. I don't have a problem with the wording in the article. It is just a little technical. Most folks growing persimmons for deer don't understand the details of parthenocarpy reproduction.

Thanks,

Jack

Sorry, it was not directed at you, just addressing to the information you provided. Noting you said was incorrect. I don't have a problem with the wording in the article. It is just a little technical. Most folks growing persimmons for deer don't understand the details of parthenocarpy reproduction.

Thanks,

Jack

Well, if you change your mind, here is the phone number to the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture: 859-257-4772

If you talk to the dean, tell her I said hello and will try to stop by sometime this summer when we are in town.

Well, if you change your mind, here is the phone number to the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture: 859-257-4772

If you talk to the dean, tell her I said hello and will try to stop by sometime this summer when we are in town.

Nope. Years ago I had conversations with Jerry Lehman on this topic. He had come to the same conclusions. Just trying to make it clear that having male trees (or branches) in the area, regardless of chromosome count, is a plus for producing fruit.

Debating persimmons with Native Hunter is tantamount to debating theology with God....

…….. a "fruitless" endeavor

bill

Debating persimmons with Native Hunter is tantamount to debating theology with God....

…….. a "fruitless" endeavor

bill
I don't think there is a debate. I think he somehow thought my post was a criticism and it wasn't. Everything he posted was correct. 60c pollen is not sexually compatible with 90c flowers, but it "tricks" the flower into producing fruit. Because of the sexual incompatibility, the fruit is seedless. This is just a down to earth description of the parthenocarpy his article describes. At one point, Jerry speculated that chestnut pollen might be enough to cause fruiting. As I recall, thinking back quite some time, in an area without male persimmons, flowers bagged early were not producing fruit where unbagged flowers were producing seedless fruit. I think I'm recalling it correctly. The email chat we had was quite a few years ago when I was first starting with persimmons.

Either way, I appreciate both Yoder and Native's knowledge per this topic. I would consider myself a layman when it comes to trees and any info from anyone is well appreciated. I am glad I found this message board, I have learned so much since joining. My questions probably come across as stupid sometimes, but you can't learn without asking. Thank yall so much!

Either way, I appreciate both Yoder and Native's knowledge per this topic. I would consider myself a layman when it comes to trees and any info from anyone is well appreciated. I am glad I found this message board, I have learned so much since joining. My questions probably come across as stupid sometimes, but you can't learn without asking. Thank yall so much!

There are no stupid questions. We were all inexperienced at one point. Best of Luck!