Persimmon Fruit wow taste great!

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Picked up some at the grocery store and they are larger than the wild persimmons on the farm. They are about the size of
a tangerine. Do any of you have hybrid persimmons or other type of persimmon that you planted as bareroot or potted tree that have done well. If so, what type? I may plant some this spring.

Never has one, should tell the wife to get some

Picked up some at the grocery store and they are larger than the wild persimmons on the farm. They are about the size of
a tangerine. Do any of you have hybrid persimmons or other type of persimmon that you planted as bareroot or potted tree that have done well. If so, what type? I may plant some this spring.

There are a number of cultivars grown for human consumption. I cant say that I have tried any of them.

I've always been worried about them in Michigan. I know Meader would do alright here, but I also have apples that would drop at the same time, so I guess I never really found room for them.

What you most likely had was an Asian Persimmon, of the non-astringent variety, most likely Fuyu. I just planted one a few weeks ago in my backyard in FL. Most of the commercial ones come from CA, but with citrus greening, more farmers are starting to grow them here. I am not sure how far N. they will survive, but they are much less cold hardy than American Persimmon. I have a couple of grafted Persimmons growing at my farm in S. MI--Yates and Prok. I was initially disappointed as they didn't grow much, but this last summer they put on about 3 or 4 feet. I'm hoping to have some fruit in a couple more years. I have also planted 50 or so seedlings from Oikos. They have survived the 2 coldest MI winters of my life, the last 2. They are not setting any growth records, but a couple have come out of 5 foot tubes after 3 or 4 years. I figure some day I can graft desirable varieties to them, especially the male trees.

What you most likely had was an Asian Persimmon, of the non-astringent variety, most likely Fuyu. I just planted one a few weeks ago in my backyard in FL. Most of the commercial ones come from CA, but with citrus greening, more farmers are starting to grow them here. I am not sure how far N. they will survive, but they are much less cold hardy than American Persimmon. I have a couple of grafted Persimmons growing at my farm in S. MI--Yates and Prok. I was initially disappointed as they didn't grow much, but this last summer they put on about 3 or 4 feet. I'm hoping to have some fruit in a couple more years. I have also planted 50 or so seedlings from Oikos. They have survived the 2 coldest MI winters of my life, the last 2. They are not setting any growth records, but a couple have come out of 5 foot tubes after 3 or 4 years. I figure some day I can graft desirable varieties to them, especially the male trees.

Oikos is the only place I would trust. I know Coldstream gets theirs from another nursery in illinois?indiana?

Citrus gteeming is pretty scary. I heard on npr that they are expected up to a 30% loss this year.

Yes, Greening is bad news. Out of 6 fully grown citrus trees in my back yard, only my Navel is in decent shape. Everything else is getting replaced with blackberries, low-chill peaches, blueberries, and Fuyu persimmons. Just glad I'm not a citrus farmer. I can't imagine having 100s of acres of citrus down here right now. It's a good lesson for all of we habitat managers on the importance of planting a diversity of wildlife trees.

A friend has 4 different varieties in his yard. I have no idea what cariety they are, except delicious. They were there when he bought the house. The only issue I have with them is that they do not drop their fruit until spring. By then they look like dried dates and nothing except possums will eat them. It is almost impossible to get any of the fruits in the upper branches as they are about 16-18 feet tall.

i was shocked when I realized there were no seeds in it. The American Persimmons on my farm all have seeds.

p
A friend has 4 different varieties in his yard. I have no idea what cariety they are, except delicious. They were there when he bought the house. The only issue I have with them is that they do not drop their fruit until spring. By then they look like dried dates and nothing except possums will eat them. It is almost impossible to get any of the fruits in the upper branches as they are about 16-18 feet tall.

Pretty sure those are Asian Persimmon as well. I have read that they aren't good deer trees for the reason you mention--the fruits persist until spring. They are delicious for humans, though. You should be able to get them with a ladder and apple/orange picker.

Wildlife Group sells 2 cultivars of Japanese Persimmons, but won't help you northern guys - they list them for zones 6 - 10.

FUYU (asian persimmons) taste great! My mother bakes a pie or cobbler with them once or twice a year. Boy they are pricey though.. I bought a couple Fuyu's from wildlife group to tinker with mainly for human consumption. Most do not prefer them for wildlife because they hang on the tree not falling off all winter. The trees are short and stubby though some surly deer could pluck them off. I will admit though the deer on my place dont seem to seek out the persimmons much:eek::confused:
Mossy oak gamekeepers (not a member just read their FB articles periodically) just put out an article recently titled "most overrated wildlife trees" or something to that nature and asian persimmons made the list. So did sawtooth oaks. Cant remember the others...

FUYU (asian persimmons) taste great! My mother bakes a pie or cobbler with them once or twice a year. Boy they are pricey though.. I bought a couple Fuyu's from wildlife group to tinker with mainly for human consumption. Most do not prefer them for wildlife because they hang on the tree not falling off all winter. The trees are short and stubby though some surly deer could pluck them off. I will admit though the deer on my place dont seem to seek out the persimmons much:eek::confused:
Mossy oak gamekeepers (not a member just read their FB articles periodically) just put out an article recently titled "most overrated wildlife trees" or something to that nature and asian persimmons made the list. So did sawtooth oaks. Cant remember the others...

I tend to have the same experience with deer. I have a LOT of male and female American Persimmons. They are probably 60 to 70 feet tall and the females are great producers, but my deer could not care less.
I place trail cams out just for fun and rarely see anything but coons eating them. Mine also have a
Tendency to hang on really late.