Peaches are gone!!!!

CooterBrown

5 year old buck +
Wish I had took some pictures but I had a peach tree that was around 4 years old that had a pretty good crop this year. I had eaten 2 of them and came back to get another one 2 days latter and there isn't a peach on the tree or the ground. Where did they go? The tree is in my side yard near the road. Did a poacher, squirrel or coon maybe get them?

Poacher.

A coon would have left a big mess at the bottom of the tree. A squirrel would carry a few off but not all of them without leaving some sign of sampling them.

The same thing happened last year but there wasn't nearly as many peaches as this year.

could be a lot of guesses here, doubt you will ever know till , maybe next yr, set up a trail cam on it!

Sucks to loose them all I am sure

but a lot of critters eat things we plant, and that I get, , I HATE the fact trespassers come and take things more
and they have the ability to know there doing wrong, unlike critters just trying ti live!

I have caught dozens of trespassers over the yrs on my fruit tree's berry bushes, as well as crop fields! even caught some standing next to a posted sign at time of being caught!
some people just don't have any respect fo others properties!

Easy to tell... if there are pits under the tree then opossums or raccoons are the culprits (I assume you are in the USA). If you see poop nearby then that is an opossum's calling card. Raccoons like to do their business elsewhere, in a high location, like on top of a log. If there are no pits under the tree then the culprits are squirrels and chipmunks (if they can carry it), as they carry the whole fruit away. Of course, it could have been a coordinated attack! May all fruit-thieving critters burn in Hell.

Last edited:
Yes Alabama. No pits no poop.

All the critters that would eat your fruit at this point are climbers so you could prevent it from entering your tree at the trunk. I use beat up tree tubes and slit them then stitch them back together. I have also used 36" flashing that comes on a roll before.
Just a thought bud, I have had to do this with my older plumbs or the raccoons get them before they are ripe.

Had my peaches and my pear trees wiped clean last year just before I was able to pick . I assume it was coons but I didn't see any pits. I have a hard time anything else could climb up and take the all in that short of time. I'm hope they don't strike this year, I have a good crop so far.

I remember once climbing up in my treestand for a little bowhunting action one morning before daylight. When the sun arose my apple bait pile was almost gone and I thought "Great! The deer are really hitting it!" Then I looked around me and every tree branch crotch in the forest within sight of me had an apple in it. Squirrels don't eat most of the fruit right away, but they do like to carry it off! They climb the tree, nip the fruit off at the stems and then gather them on the ground one at time. You can hate the little black-hearted $%^&*() critters but you have to admire them for their work ethic.

I’d cut it down before I fed some lowlife poachers every year.

My wifes grandfather had a peach tree in the yard on the farm. It was a coon magnet!

time for some electric fence and a bunch of trail cam's and get them suckers arrested and i maybe zapped a little!

I remember once climbing up in my treestand for a little bowhunting action one morning before daylight. When the sun arose my apple bait pile was almost gone and I thought "Great! The deer are really hitting it!" Then I looked around me and every tree branch crotch in the forest within sight of me had an apple in it. Squirrels don't eat most of the fruit right away, but they do like to carry it off! They climb the tree, nip the fruit off at the stems and then gather them on the ground one at time. You can hate the little black-hearted $%^&*() critters but you have to admire them for their work ethic.
HA!! I cleared out a bunch of brush in a sunny spot maybe 50' X 25' in the middle of a thicket, I and raked the topsoil loose, fertilized, spread Biologic and covered with straw for my first "food plot". It took off great and established a nice green mat so I put a trail camera on it (the old school cameras.. with an actual camera inside a box that you had to take the film to get developed) 2 weeks before opening day of bow season. I crammed a treestand into a less-than-safe tree a couple days before season started and the grass was mowed to the ground.
Opening day the pictures weren't done getting developed yet lol so I sat in my treestand wiping the drool off my chin with the highest of expectations! As it got light I see rabbit after rabbit after rabbit after frickin rabbit cross and feed in my "deer food plot" and only saw a spike that day despite a perfect wind and I sat until noon :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: