Otter? Mink?

Tamarack

5 year old buck +
I otter know but we've never seen an otter anywhere near here. They are common further north(WI). Mink are common here though, and have gotten them on camera. Just not like this and at night. Have seen signs of beaver in the past but these seem too slim. I'm not a beaver expert either though.

Even the tail looks otter-ish.

Not beaver. Look like Otter to me. I watched a couple otter swim around in the Yellow Bank River this year during MN firearms season and I’m far West central on the border of MN and SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have otters on my property in Illinois. They cleaned out my pond. I get tons of pics of them dang things all the time. That is absolutely an otter!

I was just looking up maps etc on where they've been seen- nothing marked anywhere near here but there have been sporadic sightings thru-out the state. And these are just those seen, and reported. Pretty cool if they're around here. Or should I be worried, @birdog ?

If you have a pond you will not have any fish. No pond no worries.

Yep, otters. They reintroduced them here in Indiana. About as bright as reintroducing wolfs. I've been trapping them on 2 different nuisance permits. Caught 5 in last couple weeks, and I don't think I've scratched the surface. Already cleaned out 2 ponds, and working on more. Some stuff went extinct for good reason...

Personally, I like seeing 'em. Kinda cool to see them coming back.

That’s an otter as others have noted. Last year an other cleared out our pond of fish. I discovered him just before the pond froze over and did not get him removed (shot) until spring. One of the few critters that will kill fIsh for fun, not food.

When I was a teenager, 50 years ago, my dad was doing some trapping on the creek that bordered our farm - in east-central Alabama. Caught an otter in a leg-hold trap... he said that was the meanest thing he'd ever encountered. I'd had no idea that they were even present there... had never seen one before then, or after.

that's quite the spot for wildlife... Enjoyed seeing the flying squirrel reminds me the time I was fixing up my cabin's cedar soffit as it had rotted away as I was banging away on it with my hammer I had one of those little guys come busting out of the soffit. Scream like a girl as it leap through the air and buzzed my head. Minks are straight up killers.

When I was running a brush hog on my food plot one summer I saw a really big mink run out of a brush pile holding a big rabbit that was struggling to get away. The rabbit was screaming and I like rabbit hunting, so I jumped off and hit the mink with my baseball hat to get him to let go of the rabbit.

The mink was pretty fired up when he let go of the rabbit and he didn't immediately run away - he appeared to be sizing me up to see if he could take me. If minks were 50 pounds they would kill us all!

When I was running a brush hog on my food plot one summer I saw a really big mink run out of a brush pile holding a big rabbit that was struggling to get away. The rabbit was screaming and I like rabbit hunting, so I jumped off and hit the mink with my baseball hat to get him to let go of the rabbit.

The mink was pretty fired up when he let go of the rabbit and he didn't immediately run away - he appeared to be sizing me up to see if he could take me. If minks were 50 pounds they would kill us all!

I cornered a raccoon in a storage shed one time. That dude was ready to rumble. I almost shot it with a .357 but common sense took over for once so I’m not deaf yet today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
that's quite the spot for wildlife... Enjoyed seeing the flying squirrel reminds me the time I was fixing up my cabin's cedar soffit as it had rotted away as I was banging away on it with my hammer I had one of those little guys come busting out of the soffit. Scream like a girl as it leap through the air and buzzed my head. Minks are straight up killers.
Nothing like a good trained mink. Lol. But, Man, I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep picking up rats with your bare hands. yikes. Lots of nasties on those critters.