All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchard Ladders

Maya - What's the best, safest way to secure twine for tying down limbs ?? At the limb end and the lower end. Re-bar stakes O.K. ?? I don't want to tie to the cages in case bears push cages and break limbs.

I tie to cages or to the leader and pull the branch down to where I want it. You can also strip them in 2 or 3 pieces length wise to pull down more than one at a time. I also use 19ga. wire too, to and hook the ends, again back to the leader, or to the cages.

Thanks, Maya. I think I'm gonna try re-bar stakes driven in at an angle to help hold cages down and give us a good anchor to tie down to. We use other re - bar stakes to anchor the cages, these will be in addition to those. Leery of just tying to the cages, although it would be much easier. The bears sometimes get " playful " with the cages and shove on them and bend them. I'm hoping independent stakes will save some damage.

Do you tie to the limbs with something to " soften " the bite of the twine - rubber ? - or wrap several times so the twine doesn't cut into the limb ??

For mm.111 and b.118 trees, I'm thinking a 12' ladder and the 6' version of the pruner Maya mentioned.

That should give me a comfortable margin to reach the tops of the trees, shouldn't it?

Thanks, Maya. I think I'm gonna try re-bar stakes driven in at an angle to help hold cages down and give us a good anchor to tie down to. We use other re - bar stakes to anchor the cages, these will be in addition to those. Leery of just tying to the cages, although it would be much easier. The bears sometimes get " playful " with the cages and shove on them and bend them. I'm hoping independent stakes will save some damage.

Do you tie to the limbs with something to " soften " the bite of the twine - rubber ? - or wrap several times so the twine doesn't cut into the limb ??

That is why I use that twine, it's about 1/2" wide. If you get the branches early that isn't an issue. You also only need them on for a couple months.

I think the size of the ladder should be in correlation to the size of your trees. I've got 25+ trees close to 30' in size. A 14' ladder and 13' pole saw doesn't get me anywhere near the top. I agree for most starting out a smaller ladder would do.

B340BF2D-6CF8-411B-8A2B-F03C9DE99A61-1283-00000272DD032EBF_zpsdstjknb6.jpg

F376FA0F-1543-46E9-819F-A7833E9727A4-1283-00000271818FBACF_zpsv80mwtzf.jpg
Nice old trees. makes me wonder what the original variety is to grow that well in the woods of NH.

Thanks, Maya. I didn't catch the fact the twine was 1/2" wide. Makes sense now !!

I am bumping this one back up because yesterday I worked on training some new laterals that have grown since spring. It would have been nice to have a ladder. About 50 percent of my orchard(s) is located on a slope. How are these on a slope? I seem to recall seeing that some models have a telescoping front leg.