OPPS !!!

greyphase

5 year old buck +
I limb grafted a Goldrush scion onto a wild apple tree a few years ago. I've been watching several apples growing on it. Today I noticed the apples were gone and found them laying on the ground. Either I mislabeled the graft or the scion was mislabeled, but it's definitely not a Goldrush. Reminds me of a Yellow Transparent or Lodi or some other summer apple. Mislabeling happens, it's just a chance you take when you buy or trade scion. As long as the limb produces healthy apples I'm OK with it and I got my first bite this year of an apple I grafted.
008.jpg

011.jpg

Soft fleshed like many summer apples, it will probably make good applesauce in years to come.

Agree! Years ago I bought and paid for some scion wood...Arkansas Black was the desire...I've been eating what is similar to Jonagold for 3 years now, in September - sure is not Arkie Black. Also, American crab ,wildlife trees, "liner trees", do not all grow the same apple. I've got 3 out of 10 left (that I havent grafted over to something else) and of the 3, one is as expected nice little crabs and heavy loads...the other two...sparse green apples, slightly smaller that what you show here, but a september apple naturally. You dont always get what you want...

Man if that was a GR you would be in the money! A GR that matures 3 months earlier would be great!