One spray chemical for apple trees

I'm going to start planting guilds around my trees in hopes of further lowering the need for any 'cide' sprays.
What are "guilds" ??

Anybody spray dormant oil yet this year? In the northast, we sure are getting a mild year, which means bugs got a good winter survival.

Everybody's intersts change, and levels of enthusiasm can wane over time. However, if you are good to your trees the first few years, it culminates over the life of the tree. Attacking leaf eating bugs definitely helps to grow a tree faster.

Spraying those disease resistant trees the first few years can be real helpful to them.

What are "guilds" ??

can I ask how it worked this year?
An early spring warmup, followed by our normal last frost date wiped out a bunch of flowers, but did have 8 varieties produce fruit. I'd say about 10% of the apples had some type of bug damage. Most had sooty blotch, but it washes right off.

When it comes to my young trees it was probably my best growing season yet. Some of that was due to our weather as we had a fairly short dry spell over the summer, compared to a normal year.

Here's an Enterprise, a couple Honeycrisps, and a Macintosh.
PXL_20220905_174300519.jpg

This might be hijacking the thread about, but has anyone tried planting a deep rooted perennial legume with fruit trees?

The reason I ask is this. We have an open pipeline that we plant. We try to break it up using wide strips of bicolor lespedeza. Eventually, we will get early successional woody trees growing in the bicolor and have to either burn it or mow it. One of these early successional trees are persimmons. They pop up any where there is an opening and good sunlight like clear-cuts. We have a couple stands of bicolor that are not on this pipeline where we are not forced to maintain as often. (Pipeline company won't allow trees to establish on the pipeline).

I've done a lot with persimmons including bark grafting native trees. I have found almost zero response to commercial fertilizer like fruit tree spikes for persimmons. It does not seem to affect production or growth. However, I find persimmons growing in bicolor patches seem to grow much faster. I have grafted some of them, but it will take a few more years to get handle of differential productivity of these trees compared to others. Clearly, the vegetative growth is significantly enhanced.

I wonder what is going on here. Could it be that the N fixed is much deeper in the soil than commercially added N. Maybe the increase in pollinators will have an impact on production as well.

Just wondering if anyone else has considered this. Bicolor gets about 8' tall. I have mowed it around some of the persimmons so I could get in to graft and get the grafts some more sun. It bounces back pretty quickly. As always, when I mention bicolor, I have to say that it can be invasive under some conditions (has not been a problem for us in 15 years of use but could be for others).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jack

Just a quick question, what would you guys spray right now, apples are at least a month away from being ripe, but I would like to protect some of the apples for my own consumption.

Just a quick question, what would you guys spray right now, apples are at least a month away from being ripe, but I would like to protect some of the apples for my own consumption.

This Bonide all purpose spray has worked great for me over the years...
IMG_7952.jpg

Just add 5 oz to your 4 gallon backpack sprayer and your are good to go...
IMG_7953.jpg

It contains carbaryl, captan and, I believe Malathion as well...
IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_0089 (1).jpeg

Makes for nice looking unblemished apples...
IMG_9556.JPG

Everyone is listing as out of stock. Or discontinued.

Any idea if this is the same?

Everyone is listing as out of stock. Or discontinued.

Any idea if this is the same?

Yeah...I saw that it was becoming less available so when I ran across 2 more gallons of it at a feed store I snatched them up.

The Captain Jack label leaves a lot to be desired. Not exactly what it is and/or how that compares with the original Fruit Tree product. Maybe have to call or email Bonide.

I just bought two quarts from amazon. Down here in south, so-so. Definitely doesnt guarantee a blemish free fruit - at least not down here. Maybe nothing does.

How do the apples look right now? What normally goes wrong with your apples from this point on?

My apples that are clean looking at this point are usually only affected by sooty blotch from here on out. And that really only harms their appearance, and can be cleaned off. As dry as it's been this summer I'm not even sure that will develop this year.

I get a lot of worm holes, and scabby areas. Not sure what is doing either, because I didn’t care all that much in the past. I would just like to have a bunch to eat and freeze this year.

Bitter rot pretty bad to get my apples this time of year.

I get a lot of worm holes, and scabby areas. Not sure what is doing either, because I didn’t care all that much in the past. I would just like to have a bunch to eat and freeze this year.
If they're already wormy and scabby then it's too late. If they're fine now and you're expecting damage, then you can spray Sevin for insects, and Captan or Immunox to try to prevent Scab. Both would need to be sprayed every couple of weeks, or after a heavy rain event.

Normally you would start that spray schedule right after petal fall. Usually that first month is the worst time for disease and insect pressure.

I stick with Imadan and Captan. Apples look like they’re from a store. But a late freeze zapped my apples this year. Only a few trees that have a couple. Back home looks like a good harvest.

Yesterday I took a walk out to my orchard, I probably should have checked them out earlier, a few of my trees are loaded with apples, and are hanging down. I removed a few apples, but these are 20+ feet tall, to hard to reach the upper smaller branches.

I generally spray nothing in my orchard but I’ve definitely got a cambium minor issue on a couple apple trees that will need addressed. I likely have already lost the battle with one tree that the beasties started on last summer but I didn’t recognize as their handy work until to late. I see another one that looks to be getting hit this year for the first time I maybe able to still save it. Last time this happened it’s been maybe 10 years ago I sprayed cypermethrin on the trunks to eliminate the minors and that worked well.