One of the Draw Backs of APR's!

M

MoBuckChaser

This is a great example of why I do not like APR's. The only way this deer gets shot is if it comes by a youngster in the Youth season. Otherwise he will be spreading his genes for years to come! Hope he gets hit by a car or something!

MoBuck, I work with guys from all over SE MN, and they complain about this very thing all the time. Many of them tell me about multiple bucks with age that have racks similar or even uglier than this guy and those deer will never get shot and will continue to spread shoddy genetics throughout their range. One of my close coworkers has 3 bucks on his property that all have the same antler characteristics, he believes them to be dad and 2 of his offspring. They sport the highly sought after combination of an 8"+ spike on one side and either a fork or 3 pt on the other side. Dad has carried these same characteristics for at least 3 years and the landowner's can do nothing about it. If my buddy had the option he would have shot it the second year he saw it sporting the same general antler configuration. APR's = Feel good management practice to reduce the doe population.

I kinda like big freak nasty six points haha! I shot a big 4 yr old 6 point a couple yrs ago. His rack sits on my mantle. They should have a stipulation with APR such as if rack measures a total of 100 inches its a legal kill. At least somthing to keep these big 6's from living forever yA know

I kinda like big freak nasty six points haha! I shot a big 4 yr old 6 point a couple urs ago. His rack sits on my mantle. They should have a stipulation with APR such as if it measures a total of 100 inches its a legal kill
That would work great for those of us who have a clue , but everyone here knows that the average Elmer Fudd doesn't know a 75" 6pt for a 110" 6pt. Most guys can count to 4 when the buck steps out, all to few can guesstimate 100"+ inches of antler.

That would work great for those of us who have a clue , but everyone here knows that the average Elmer Fudd doesn't know a 75" 6pt for a 110" 6pt. Most guys can count to 4 when the buck steps out, all to few can guesstimate 100"+ inches of antler.
I agree. It would take some educating with a serious stressing on when in doubt don't pull the trigger. Just like moose hunting in trophy zones. It's your ass if that moose doesn't measure up.