Old Logging Road

Steven Tolly

5 year old buck +
Ok Guys I have an old logging road that runs through my property and this year we put some small plots in it. They worked to some extent for guys who had no idea what we were doing. We researched a little and went to town. This winter I am trying to figure out a better way to get something growing on it for the summer and fall / winter next year. So where should I start. I am pulling soil samples to send in this weekend, but it is creek bottom in the middle of a timber so who knows.

The areas that get a lot of sun did ok this year with a bag of Whitetail institute mix. The deer seemed to like it, but it does not look to great. So I guess what is something that will grow in a low sun area. We can only get 4 wheelers in there, but we have a small disc and a sprayer. I would love it to be one long kill plot with some summer food to help them out, but not sure the best way to start this spring.

Thanks

Steven

My recommendation is to open the sky and let in more sun. Then plant something simple like winter rye, or clover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget planting it for the summer. Some clovers will tolerate a fair amount of shade. As suggested above, plant WR and a perennial clover next fall. Durana is fairly shade tolerant. You don't list your area, so I 'm not sure if Durana is the best fit for your location.

Thanks,

Jack

Sorry I am in southcentral Iowa. We are planning to trim a few of the tree tops and some saplings, but not sure how much we can do. It kind of work this year so we are hoping with a little more sun and some good advice we will get a better shot next year.

I have a couple north-south running logging roads that we planted. We are on a pine plantation so they were shaded. We widened them to 15 to 20 yards and that was sufficient for me to get Durana to grow well. It is slow to establish, so if you plant it, use a Winter Rye nurse crop and plant it in the fall. The following spring is key. Each time the WR hits about a foot, mow it back to about 6" to release the clover.

Thanks,

jack

I did several old logging roads this fall on my property with reasonable success for a first time planting. Combined they totaled right at an acre. I used a mix of 50 lbs rye, 50 lbs oats, 6 lbs medium red clover, 4 lbs ladino, and 5 lbs of groundhog forage radish. We planted Labor Day weekend. I'm going down this weekend so I'll take some updated pictures and give a better description for you then. I was happy with the results but also not satisfied yet. I need more light, better amendments to the soil etc... We have seen a fair amount of use of the plots though and expect more as winter continues to develop. I'm in south central Missouri so a little less severe winters than you have but similar enough climate and conditions to maybe show you results from at least one option.

Proper soil nutrients and especially sunlight are the keys to success in your situation. I agree in that I would stick with perennial white clovers and cereal grains as these are the easiest to grow. By getting the sunlight in there you will see browse become available to the deer as well. Good luck.

This is what I would sell to a guy in your situation, for compacted trails, shade to sun. Spray with roundup, broadcast and pray for good rain. If it takes, broadcast 200lbs per acre of a triple 17 or 19.

• 30% White Dutch Clover
  • 30%Boost Perennial Ryegrass
  • 15% Birdsfoot Trefoil
  • 05% Alsike Clover
  • 20% Creeping Red Fescue

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

These pictures were early pics of a couple of my logging road trails. I have almost an acre total in these trails. I sprayed, mowed, sprayed again, then used an atv disc and cultipacker to prep the soil. I didn't have time for a soil test last year but even with only 800 lbs of lime I got decent growth. I seeded in Spetembet with the mix I previously mentioned. We had sporadic use through late September and October and wishfully predicted that after acorns were mostly used up that we'd have the only food in the area. We were expecting good use once winter hit. I went out yesterday with the intent of taking some pictures and doing a walk around since firearms season is over. We have three deer in the freezer so we won't hunt much anymore even with bows this winter. I ended up sawing up a bunch of downed trees near my campground and didn't take a bunch of pictures like I'd planned. I did take one though. Even through last week we were seeing use of the plots but not like they were using it as a primary food source. There's been little difference between my exclusion cages and the trails themselves. In the last week it looks like someone took a lawn mower down my trails. I don't know if that means that more deer have found us, or that they've moved off of other food sources, or maybe just as likely we also have some good cover and after firearms season kicked off maybe it's our cover that drew them in. It's only 36 acres and I only had one camera out but I had 66 pictures from the Monday after opening weekend through yesterday. My guess is that the mix of cover, food and the fact that we only hunt the perimeter of our property all combined for more deer activity. Most of the pics seem to be a group of 4 does and fawns, a couple single does, a nice little eight pointer and a spike buck.

Last edited:
image.jpeg This is just one picture but just a week ago this whole trail was just like the cage. This particular trail is 175 yards long and probably averages 10 feet wide. There are spots that are as wide as 30 feet though. If you look closely you can see that the oats and rye have been eaten down considerably. They have absolutely demolished the radishes. The leaves were probably 6-8 inches tall a week ago. If you can expand the picture you can also see that the clover has a good start for next spring too. I was initially concerned about the leaves after they fell because they covered up a lot of the growth but the grains and radishes continued to grow right through them and the leaves seem to provide protection for the clover which is growing well underneath. I'm debating taking a backpack blower in and blowing some of the leaves off..

I'm in east central/south central Missouri so probably at least similar weather and terrain to you. I hope this helps you. Next year some of these trails will be converted to clover for a long term plot. My two wider trails and the spot we call the hidey hole corner will be in this mix again next year. I have another area that will be a more traditional size and shape plot where we'll use a combination of this mix and brassicas. The radishes were a Labor Day planting and didn't get root growth of any consequence but they've been immensely popular. I'd like to try a late July planting of radishes and turnips someplace. MoBuckChaser had some impressive radish plots he posted in another thread somewhere and I'd like to try and emulate that plotting success in one of my areas next year.

Those pictures look exactly like what we have. We tried it with small success this year and we are hoping to do something similar next year only all the way down the logging road. By the time we are done we will probably have 300 yards total averaging 10 -15 yards wide. We plan on spraying, mowing, and spraying again just like you. We have a ground hog max disc that can get back there easily so we will use that to till the soil. Then go with the best plots for shade in the shaded areas and radishes of sorts in the sunnier areas for late season. We want this to be a great kill plot to be back in the timber that will have plenty of food from sept - the end of December. We are putting some other plots in the CRP which will be close to these and they will be clover, beans and radishes. But the timber plot will be worked just with our equipment while we are getting help with the CRP plots.

Pick yourself up one of these. I dragged miles of trails with this thing after the loggers left. It was great at smoothing them out and prepping some for planting. I ended up planting a couple hundred yards of trails in WR, oats, and clover. No rain after planting so not sure if bad results were from that or poor soil. The shaded areas did grow better so I am hoping they will take off next year. I also used it two prep a couple acres for planting.
IMG_0916.PNG

Here's exactly what I put down on my trails - I went back and copied this from my notes. I seeded on Spetember 1st. Next year I might also add the peas to the mix.

FOOD PLOTS 2016
Rye and oats based on 50lbs per acre
GHFR based on 5 lbs per acre
Clover mix based on 6 lbs medium red clover and 4 pounds Ladino white clover per acre (10 lbs per acre combined)
Fertilizer based on 200 lbs 13-13-13 per acre
Added 800 lbs of pelletized lime total.

Widow maker -135 yds X12 ft (4860 sq ft - 11% acre)
Rye and oats - 5.5 lbs each
GHFR - .55 lbs
Clover - 1.1 lbs
22lbs 13-13-13

South side trail- 180 yds x 10ft (5400 sq ft - 12% acre)
Rye and oats - 6lbs each
GHFR - 6 lbs
Clover - 1.2 lbs
24lbs 13-13-13

Dog leg trail - 240 yds X 10 ft (7200 sq ft -16.5% acre)
Rye and oats - 8.25 lbs each
GHFR - .825 lbs
Clover - 1.65 lbs

Upper plot 180 yds X 15 ft (8100 sq ft - 18.5% acre)
Rye and oats - 9.25 lbs each
GHFR - .925 lbs
Clover - 1.85 lbs
37 lbs 13-13-13

West side trail - 175 yds X 15 (7875 sq ft - 18% acre)
Rye and oats - 9 lbs each
GHFR - .9 lbs
Clover - 1.8 lbs
36 lbs 13-13-13

Hidey hole corner - 100 yds by 12 ft (5400 sq ft - 12% acre)
Rye and oats - 6 lbs each
GHFR - .6 lbs
Clover - 1.2 lbs
24 lbs 13-13-13

Camp trail - (2700 sq ft - 6% acre)
Rye and oats - 3 lbs each
GHFR - .3 lbs
Clover - .6 lbs
12 lbs 13-13-13

Widow maker and south side trails join together. Dog leg trail merges with the camp trail and the upper plot. The upper plot merges with the west side trail and the hidey hole corner. Its all connected somehow so it meanders through a good portion of the property and we put our stands on the perimeter of the property. The plan is to create some hinge cut bedding areas throughout as well.

Last edited:
Ok so after a lot of reading and recommendations I am trying to get the plan together for this old road. We are going to clear, open up, etc this spring as early as we can and I want to get a spring crop in. From what I have read Wheat would be good in the spring but will not do well in the summer. Buckwheat would be good if I can get it to grow, but I am not sure. What should I focus on in my spring plot that will get tilled under for Winter Rye, Oats, Radishes and clover in July or Sept. So it will be growing roughly April, May, June, and some of July. Probably not all of April or July, I am also looking for a better idea of dates.

Thoughts on the Spring Plot to help prep soil for the Fall hunting plots. I would love to offer the deer something they like and also help the soil and plot. I figured we will till whatever grows into the ground when needed before it seeds or before we plant whatever is needed. We do not have much for tillers / disc but we have a ground hog max and a harrow to drag it in. I have read a lot about Buckwheat really helping the soil and being a "green Manure" so that is why I was looking at it.

Any advice is great. Thanks for the post so far.

My fall plot will be
Red clover and white mix
Winter Rye
Plus some Radishes in the best areas of sun, Unless there is some other great shaded thing I am missing.

Steven

Sounds like a good plan.

I expect my rye to grow well in spring and the clover got a great start in the fall. I doubt I'll do a spring planiting if the clover takes off. I'd think either an oats, annual clover mix or straight buckwheat would be good choices. From what little I know buckwheat should help with weed suppression and is easy too grow. Id wait until you're clear of any frost though for sure.

In the past i have never got super good results growing food plots on logging roads. I think you have to cut bk a lot of tree to let a lot of sunlight in. Not saying you won't get anything to grow because you will. Just have to the lower your expatiation that its not going to look like the picture on the bag. If it was me i would pick few good spaces hinge cut the tress open up a good space get a great food plot growing. Do that a few times a year and in no time you'll have what you want. They don't have to be huge. My thought 50 ft of an awesome food plot is better than 300 ft of okay growth. Hinge cutting the tree will also give your deer another thing to eat. That is just my thought.

Bigshooter is correct on both counts. I got much better growth than anticipated but also know that it'll be even better once I cut back the trees a little bit in select areas. I think on shaded trails it's a balance of having a trail that will be used for both travel and food. I'll certainly be keeping my trails in food but will also strategically do some hinging in order to both open up the trails to more light, create more cover and add additional browse. I'm sure that'll be an ongoing process from year to year but I wouldn't hesitate to create food plot trails if you've got the space. One thing I've really taken to heart from the advice on this forum is to look at the overall big picture of habitat development and to work my trails in as they fit into that big picture.

I was thinking the same thing as Someday ^^^ - will it be used for frequent 4-wheeler travel or only food plot with OCCASIONAL wheeler travel ?? That can make a big difference in what will grow / survive / flourish. If you drive that trail a lot, Mo's mix with some grass in it would be the best.

Generally speaking, any woods road will be acidic soil because of all the leaves decaying there. I'd lime the crap out of it - this winter if you can get lime down now. Any snow will help soak it down into the soil & get your pH up sooner. Any trimming / cutting you can do on the south side of your woods road will be very helpful, even if it's several smaller openings. As the sun moves during the day, so will the areas getting sun. And like someone said above, any cutting will stimulate browse growth - another plus.

We have had great success with rye, oats and clover. Mo suggested Alsike clover in his mix recommendation. He's right on that choice. Alsike does well on less-than-perfect soil. We've used it at my camp before we got our soil pH up and it grew well. The white Dutch clover is the stuff used in lawn seed mixtures, so it'll take some traffic. It won't hurt to mix some in with your other red or white clover that you use.

In your situation, I'd be putting down lime now - that would be my first move. That'll help the fertilizer work better later when you plant.