All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Barn Fur Photo

I would love to trap a black one, have never heard of or seen a black coyote around here. They do tend to be far more common in the east and southeastern states. No I never trapped any wolves while working for the government. Though I did have a wolf domestic dog hybrid that was accused of killing sheep once. When I went to the owners house to discuss that possibility the "pet" walked around the corner of the house while I was at the front door and there was definitely a pucker factor going on!

Very cool

Nice job and unbelievable how many coyotes you got in such a short time.

WOW Congrats Chris!
Have not been on the forums much lately but sure glad I logged in to see this! Congrats on one heck of a two wk run! An that barn photo is something to be proud of!
I dabbled in trapping in my youth and had a hard time catching those dang yotes! Fox seemed much easier... Maybe I can pick your brain on a few things some time?
EDIT What foot hold traps you running?

WOW Congrats Chris!
Have not been on the forums much lately but sure glad I logged in to see this! Congrats on one heck of a two wk run! An that barn photo is something to be proud of!
I dabbled in trapping in my youth and had a hard time catching those dang yotes! Fox seemed much easier... Maybe I can pick your brain on a few things some time?
EDIT What foot hold traps you running?

Yotes were hard for me to catch also. I got to where I could, but they are sure a lot more shy than anything else I tried to trap (even cats).

Once again, great catch and very cool pics.

Mostly old school on my traps, have a bunch of #2 and #3 Northwoods and Montgomery coilspring traps that I modified myself (baseplated with center swiveling, laminated the jaws, replaced chain with straight link machine). Sterling MJ600s are my personal favorite "new" trap, but at $40 a trap and almost impossible to find I dont own many. Tried some of the Minnesota Brand Trapline MB650s and didnt care for them at all this year. Our coyote population is fairly high here. Coyotes can be a challenge to trap, biggest factor in increasing your catch is experience. For those of you interested in learning how to trap coyotes your state trapping conventions are usually a wealth of information. I have watched alot of the YouTube videos on coyote trapping some are good some arent.

Mostly old school on my traps, have a bunch of #2 and #3 Northwoods and Montgomery coilspring traps that I modified myself (baseplated with center swiveling, laminated the jaws, replaced chain with straight link machine). Sterling MJ600s are my personal favorite "new" trap, but at $40 a trap and almost impossible to find I dont own many. Tried some of the Minnesota Brand Trapline MB650s and didnt care for them at all this year. Our coyote population is fairly high here. Coyotes can be a challenge to trap, biggest factor in increasing your catch is experience. For those of you interested in learning how to trap coyotes your state trapping conventions are usually a wealth of information. I have watched alot of the YouTube videos on coyote trapping some are good some arent.

TC, just curious what you didn’t like about the MB traps. The MB 550s are my favorite. Built like a tank and the PIT pan latch is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will likely get some of the MB550s to try next season, a friend has them and likes his. I have to admit though when I first saw the 550s I just didnt like how they looked. Odd I know to base something like that on looks alone, just one of those quirky things. I didnt like the 650s due to the fact that they are a pain in the ass to depress the levers to set the trap while in the field. I couldnt set them by pushing down on the levers because they sank into the dirt too much and then you can get the jaws depressed to get the dog engaged on the pan. Didnt care for the trigger set up either. I got them to try because I really like wire levers like on my Sterlings. Pan tension seemed too high as well, as I had a few coyotes work sets and step right on the pan without firing the trap.

Love the old barn fur photo. You definitely have the yotes figured out. It reminds me of when I started trapping over 40 years ago. Old barn fur photos and Stanley S. Hawbaker's trapping book really got me wound up about it. Thanks for posting!

Well my son learned from his mistakes with the mink to some extent...... He got another mink the other day (actually hit it with his car) and this time at least skinned it out in the garage. But however still managed to rupture the gland..... You would think he would learn.....

Great pic! Awesome 2 weeks of trapping.

Nice job turkey. Love the barn pics as you can see with my profile pic.