Oak varieties

I have about 40 Swamp Chestnut Oaks that were planted around 18 years ago. Below is a picture taken the other day of one of them. I know they are making acorns, because I am finding seedlings from them that squirrels planted. I just got through thinning out competition around a few of them.

0cHoJJc.jpg

Nice Native I hope mine do that well for me.

I have about 40 Swamp Chestnut Oaks that were planted around 18 years ago. Below is a picture taken the other day of one of them. I know they are making acorns, because I am finding seedlings from them that squirrels planted. I just got through thinning out competition around a few of them.

0cHoJJc.jpg
Please tell me thats not a sweetgum in the lower left corner of that pic

bill

Please tell me thats not a sweetgum in the lower left corner of that pic

bill
If it was, it has now been sent to the depths of Tartarus. I whacked and treated several that day.

I did do one thing that hurt. I killed a perfectly fine red oak. It was in the middle of a nice grove of Swamp Chestnut Oaks. I almost couldn’t bring myself to do it but it was the right thing to do - in order to give the SCOs more room and sun.

Last edited:
I built our pole shed in 2008.....and noticed a small Bur Oak that was a seedling at the time. Decided to protect it a bit.....and put a stake in the ground next to it.....and have monitored it's growth over the years. Now........14 years later.....its producing lots of acorns. I suppose it's 18 feet high. After we logged my place.....I got many hundreds of similar trees that were released. Grin.

the acorns are very big and plentiful. Fun to see the progress. Really a good teaching aid for my family.IMG_0569.JPGIMG_0570.JPG

I’ve planted several bur oak acorns around my yard over the years I have one this year producing acorns for the first time. I have a couple potted ones I bought at about 5’ tall that aren’t really much bigger than the acorn planted ones planted around the same year. Oaks do seem to do best as acorns in their forever location.

I’ve planted several bur oak acorns around my yard over the years I have one this year producing acorns for the first time. I have a couple potted ones I bought at about 5’ tall that aren’t really much bigger than the acorn planted ones planted around the same year. Oaks do seem to do best as acorns in their forever location.
I've never planted an oak tree.....but I got thousands of burr oak and white oak here that were released when I logged the pines from my land. Really nice re-gen of oaks, aspen, willows, birch more red pine and some fir and spruce, lots of brush varieties too. Feeling lucky to have such re-gen.

Last edited:
Oaks do seem to do best as acorns in their forever location.

I have a Saul's oak ( white x chestnut oak) that was planted about 3 years ago. I bought it as a small potted seedling from Oikos. It was in a small opening in my woods and though it probably would have liked more sun, it was a pretty decent location. Well, it never grew an inch since the day I planted it so this week out of desperation, I dug it up to move it. I couldn't believe how looped and twisted the roots were. I got them opened up as much as I could and replanted it at my house so I can keep an eye on it. The roots would have never been like that using direct seeding.

I am very skeptical about “ air pruning” or potted oaks.

The tap root / health / development seems paramount to productive life and drought tolerance. IMO

I couldn't believe how looped and twisted the roots were. I got them opened up as much as I could and replanted it at my house so I can keep an eye on it. The roots would have never been like that using direct seeding.
I plant several hundred acorns each year in a couple of raised beds. I grow the seedlings for about 9-10 months and then pull them up and plant them. You would be surprised what the roots will do. Loops are more common than you would think. I have seen roots turn 90 degrees for no reason. I plant the acorns and then water so the acorns are not being moved. Most of them do not have any sort of radicle when planted. I have no clue why the roots do what they do, but they don't always go straight down.