Oak Tree Pruning

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I have been doing a bunch of chainsaw work lately and have some oaks with dead branches. So my question is where to cut them off at. Is it better to leave a little stub of the branch or to cut off flush with the main tree. The only reason I ask is I remember somebody telling me the proper way and I can't remember. His reasoning was lower risk of disease entering the tree.

I have been doing a bunch of chainsaw work lately and have some oaks with dead branches. So my question is where to cut them off at. Is it better to leave a little stub of the branch or to cut off flush with the main tree. The only reason I ask is I remember somebody telling me the proper way and I can't remember. His reasoning was lower risk of disease entering the tree.
no stub, but take care not to get so fancy with the flush cut that you damage the main trunk/branch

You don't want to cut completely flush with the tree as that can cause desease. Leave enough stub so the tree can eventually make a small collar.

If it's deadwood, then you can cut TO the begining of the callus. Otherwise leave a bit of a stub.

Thanks guys

Welcome Shedder. How's your winter been up there?

I am guessing the same as yours. Snow to the eyeballs and the deer compromised.