All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oak Tree Pruning

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I have been doing a bunch of chainsaw work lately and have some oaks with dead branches. So my question is where to cut them off at. Is it better to leave a little stub of the branch or to cut off flush with the main tree. The only reason I ask is I remember somebody telling me the proper way and I can't remember. His reasoning was lower risk of disease entering the tree.

I have been doing a bunch of chainsaw work lately and have some oaks with dead branches. So my question is where to cut them off at. Is it better to leave a little stub of the branch or to cut off flush with the main tree. The only reason I ask is I remember somebody telling me the proper way and I can't remember. His reasoning was lower risk of disease entering the tree.
no stub, but take care not to get so fancy with the flush cut that you damage the main trunk/branch

You don't want to cut completely flush with the tree as that can cause desease. Leave enough stub so the tree can eventually make a small collar.

If it's deadwood, then you can cut TO the begining of the callus. Otherwise leave a bit of a stub.

Thanks guys

Welcome Shedder. How's your winter been up there?

I am guessing the same as yours. Snow to the eyeballs and the deer compromised.