All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oak seedling ID

KDdid

5 year old buck +
5edf422e7f808410d9f519919dac425a.jpg

96dbef783b3006d4f2dbe46eca07454d.jpg

Last fall I direct seeded a bunch of acorns in tubes. While cleaning tubes out today I noticed there was a certain species of oak that outgrew all others. I planted white, swamp white, northern red, chinquapin, and bur. Can I get some help identifying this particular one? Looks like a red to me (because of the points), but it’s somewhat different from other red seedlings I have growing on their own, and it almost has a chestnut oak-like overall shape. Is this a chinquapin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s for sure not a bur oak.
Edit: i think its chinkapin. I ran out and checked the swamp whites in the yard and the leaf looks more rounded on the lobes in my opinion.

Last edited:
Looks like a Northern red more so than the others you listed. But it actually looks like a black oak (which is in the red-oak family). Chinkapin still has rounded points and that leaf clearly has pointed ones.

+1 Northern Red

Just curious, how tall was the tube?

bill

Four foot. Seedling is about 20”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk