Oak identity

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Ok let's just say I know this paramedic that while on a call was retrieving the stretcher out of the Ambulance to transport a non critical pt. He noticed this oak loaded with acorns an heard them raining all around him while wheeling the stretcher into the house. He reached down an grabbed an acorn an a leaf so He could ask you fellas what kind of tree you think it is;) Early drop time has me thinking chinkapin oak. The acorns are REALLY dark which I'm unfamiliar with. So what's yalls opinions. This guy couldn't snap a pic of the tree but says it was large an appeared to be a white oak;)

EDIT SEE PIC BELOW

Last edited:
Having trouble uploading iPhone pic. Will do this ev in laptop

IF it's a true chinkapin oak its acorns will be real small (the size of your fingernail - about the size of a marble) - the leaf will be narrow with many shallow lobes yet fairly uniform in width and the points will be as pointed as you have ever seen on a white oak - you almost expect to see the "bristle" like on a red oak. The bark is nearly identical to that of a basic white oak as well.

IF it's a true chinkapin oak its acorns will be real small (the size of your fingernail - about the size of a marble) - the leaf will be narrow with many shallow lobes yet fairly uniform in width and the points will be as pointed as you have ever seen on a white oak - you almost expect to see the "bristle" like on a red oak. The bark is nearly identical to that of a basic white oak as well.
They were very small an as stated above dark. Almost black. Tree looked like a white oak on the bark. This thing was raining acorns like you never seen!!!

If your interested in early acorns sounds like you found a good one. Grab some acorns and put them in the ground - members of the white oak family will germinate yet his year! Get your photo posted and we will be able to take a better swing at an ID. Chinkapins are one oak I have alot of exp with as I have a bunch of them. I found a pin oak the other day that was raining down all over a parking lot. I picked up some just to toss out in to the woods - if they grow great if the don't - I'm out 3 minutes of my time!

Sounds like a chinkapin---mine, and deer's favorite.

acorn.JPG
leaf.JPG

Yep chinkapin. Nice wheat penny, too.

Yep - that's a chink all right. They germ well from acorns - I have 5 5gal buckets with seedlings in them from last year - will transplant this fall yet. Mine grow best in course, well drained soils. All the critters love them because of their small size acorns.