NWSG Thinning

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_2088.jpeg

Above photo is some nwsg - primarily little bluestem - not sprayed as of today

IMG_1591.jpeg

This nwsg was bush hogged early Mar and sprayed mid Jun with cleth. It has not grown any, but doesnt really look dead, either

IMG_1590.jpeg
This is nwsg sprayed with gly and imazipic. Sprayed back in early jun. Decent kill of everything from nwsg to persimmon. I dont know what residual will be of this application, but I dont see any new growth of anything, yet.

As of this point, not impressed with cleth for thinning nwsg. Interested to see how long it takes for the gly Imazipic spraying to show some forb growth

There are a number of herbicides besides clethodim that can work on grasses and leave other forbs mostly untouched (if that is what you are going for).

What are you trying to do with this area?

There are a number of herbicides besides clethodim that can work on grasses and leave other forbs mostly untouched (if that is what you are going for).

What are you trying to do with this area?
Thin nwsg. They have suffocated the forbes

If you can, time the cleth application right after the NWSG are coming out of dormancy or before the first frost. Big bluestem is loving life right now and clethodim is more or less a plant growth regulator on it. Typically, warm season grasses are most vulnerable going into or coming out of dormancy.

I am wanting to do this as well. Mine is switch that I want to thin. It's 6' tall which will make it difficult to spray. So if I wanted to spray switch later this fall, would it hurt spraying effectiveness if I mowed it first to a height I can work with?