Nutrition vs. Genetics

Don't you think you need both? Saying if you have a great buck with awesome genetics but nothing to eat what will he ever be or if you have an avg deer with a great food source he only going to get so big. I don't care what property you have unless you on a game farm you not going to have 10+ 180 deer running around. I believe we have so good genetics and some of the best ground around. The deer here are feed like beef steers. Genetics and food/dirt walk hand in hand in growing big racks! But I believe out smarting a 5.5+ year old mature deer is way harder than shooting 150+ in deer. That just my opinion.

Agreed. Older = smarter in my book. ^^^ I'd rather kill the "old man of the mountain or swamp " than a bigger, younger deer. I'm weird that way.

This was the first year I hunted only one buck. Man was it hard! Wouldn't have been the world's biggest buck but he was at least 4.5 I was thinking 5.5 huge body prolly 145 in buck. Big old mature bully buck. Only seen hand full of times but man was it exciting to see him and try to out smart him. Let's just say have a lot of tag soup this year. Well bow tag soup anyway!

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Older = smarter in my book. ^^^ I'd rather kill the "old man of the mountain or swamp " than a bigger, younger deer. I'm weird that way.

I've started to varnish jawbones as the true trophy.

Thanks,

Jack

20150309_173450_resized.jpg Not only could I not catch up to this old boy, but I never even saw him. Got 4 straight years of his sheds about 10 to 12 years ago, before trail cams. He had 5" bases every set, so I'm guessing he was a minimum of 3 at the start. Probably older. He was always a 130 class deer. It's just curious to me how this buck can live in the middle of a soybean field on class A IL dirt and never show any rack growth, but some bruisers up in the Superior National forest and wherever else turn into booners! That's what makes it so fun.

View attachment 11981 Not only could I not catch up to this old boy, but I never even saw him. Got 4 straight years of his sheds about 10 to 12 years ago, before trail cams. He had 5" bases every set, so I'm guessing he was a minimum of 3 at the start. Probably older. He was always a 130 class deer. It's just curious to me how this buck can live in the middle of a soybean field on class A IL dirt and never show any rack growth, but some bruisers up in the Superior National forest and wherever else turn into booners! That's what makes it so fun.
Insane. The buck I'm chasing is a monster 8 had him on cam for 2 years for sure I think 3 years. He is just a bully runs off all my nice 2.5-3.5 year old. He made it threw this year. Try again next year! That's a pic of him.IMG_20161014_191906491.jpg

The northern 1/3 of Wisconsin is big woods and very difficult to grow big racks vs the southern 2/3 ag lands. Why? Age(predators aplenty, harsh winters), nutrition/soil? Nope. The last thing a bucks energy coming out of winter focuses on is antler growth. Compare a bayfield county bucks life vs a sauk county buck?

If this statement is true then how can Alberta and Saskatchewan consistently produce large bucks, including the world record?

If this statement is true then how can Alberta and Saskatchewan consistently produce large bucks, including the world record?
Don't they grow crops up there like winter wheat? Don't they feed hay in the winter? I think winter up there would be the hardest on deer in Canada but if they feed them all winter shouldn't take to long in spring to recover and start growing horns. That's just my thought no clue if that's true or not.

Bigshooter, I like that guy! What a spread. And check out that long body. He's a toad. Good luck next year. Where are you located?

Hey NoFo, was the Osceola buck confirmed a crossbow kill? The 60 day drying period should be up, so I assume the hold up is just a magazine contract at this point.

Bigshooter, I like that guy! What a spread. And check out that long body. He's a toad. Good luck next year. Where are you located?

Hey NoFo, was the Osceola buck confirmed a crossbow kill? The 60 day drying period should be up, so I assume the hold up is just a magazine contract at this point.
Jefferson county WI. About half hr from Madison Wisconsin. I was guessing he was 4.5 maybe 5.5.He is a bully walking most of this fall with a limp. We have pretty good genetics by me. My buddy's shot a 173 in buck out of my marsh and this year 1/4 mile away 13 year old girl shot 168 in during youth hunt. Never had pic of either one ever!!

Don't they grow crops up there like winter wheat? Don't they feed hay in the winter? I think winter up there would be the hardest on deer in Canada but if they feed them all winter shouldn't take to long in spring to recover and start growing horns. That's just my thought no clue if that's true or not.

Yes, there is ag in a good percentage of each province but a lot of the deer hunting shows you see on tv and where the guiding is allowed (specifically in Sask) is from big woods areas with no ag. There are wolves and bad winters across the entire province.

Yes, there is ag in a good percentage of each province but a lot of the deer hunting shows you see on tv and where the guiding is allowed (specifically in Sask) is from big woods areas with no ag. There are wolves and bad winters across the entire province.
Every hunting show I see in Canada in the winter they are hunting over a round bale. I'm sure not every places does that. Wolves would be the biggest problem.

Do they? Alberta/Sask combined=450 py entries...Wisc has 11,000

Wisconsin has WAY more hunters than both provinces combined. Not to mention it's widely known that many of the record book eligible bucks shot by locals in CA never see a tape measure, much less get recorded in the books. Besides, when someone says they want to go on a 'once in a lifetime' hunt they rarely pick Wisconsin.

NW vs NE WI is very much different. The Northwest counties while not Buffalo County still outproduced much of the country....well they did until the population crashed. WI has too much hunting pressure to make it a once in a lifetime hunt for Most. Great, large private ground is another story but is very rare here.

A good judge of the top trophy states is by watching the Outdoor Channel.

Where are all the guys hunting that make their living shooting big bucks?

Drury, Winke, Lakosky, Kisky, Nock On TV, Lindsey's

A good judge of the top trophy states is by watching the Outdoor Channel.

Where are all the guys hunting that make their living shooting big bucks?

Drury, Winke, Lakosky, Kisky, Nock On TV, Lindsey's
^^^^^ WAY TO FUNNY!!!!