Nut Id?

D

dipper

found these in the woods and it appears the deer are eating them. This is them with the shells on.
0BF5F328-E4F4-49B9-964C-B96BFFB50151.jpg

U peel the husk off with your fingernail
D815030D-ECFD-435D-8C3C-F4FEB1F1E721.jpg

hickory.

Pignut hickory or something like that.

They any thing real good to have? I could only find about 8. The rest were cracked open and gone. Those had to be eaten by deer. Squirrels had some cracked open on stumps. I just don't see anything besides deer eating them where they fell.

I would say 90-99% squirrels. .....those are HARD nuts. We have them here and squirrels are the only thing that eat then,, but I have heard people say deer eat them.....so could be.

Looks like they are going in the garden over winter with the reject Chestnuts. Do deer browse hickory? I could throw them in my screen.

Yep pignut hickory - great for squirrels. I think I recall Chummer saying he has deer eat them all the time. I think its a matter of what is available do the deer. They are a middle of the road tree from a timber value stand point. I wouldn't get rid of them, but if I had one shading an oak - then the hickory looses out.

Dad had a brahma bull that ate them. You could hear the crack 100 yards away. First floor of my house is finished in hickory. I like it better than oak.

Didn't hickory wasn't pretty wood - it just isn't a top tier timber from a loggers perspective (not often used as a veneer). I have several types of hickory on my place - like I said mostly squirrel food - wish the tree rats would leave my oaks alone and just mesh with the hickory! I let mine go if they are not bothering anything, but they tend to hinge well also.

Hickory floor"

Shagbark has always been my favorite. My grandmother's farm had a bunch along the crick. Look awesome and good eating but to much work. Many shagbark where we live now too. My folks farm has pignut hickories, more than I realized when I started into this habitat stuff. I plan to graft some to hardy pecans when I get around to it.

Shagbark has always been my favorite. My grandmother's farm had a bunch along the crick. Look awesome and good eating but to much work. Many shagbark where we live now too. My folks farm has pignut hickories, more than I realized when I started into this habitat stuff. I plan to graft some to hardy pecans when I get around to it.
Can u elaborate? How far north do pecans grow. Never heard of anyone growing them this far north