Not The Kind of "What Age" Question You Want To Ask

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
In my latest camera card pull, found the predators have been really active of late... multiple bobcats carrying small prey as well as multiple yotes carrying both typical small prey but this go-round also with what's clearly part of a deer carcass.

What surprised me about the deer carcass was the size / length of the deer's legs. Definitely not a ***newborn*** fawn, but that said we had a few this year delivered as early as May.

I've noticed this summer I've got both a yearling doe and a yearling buck with slight (very slight) limps so here's the question... looking at the video do you think the visible carcass is too big to be a two month old fawn and more likely to be a yearling? Regardless, thankfully I do have videos with multiple fawns recorded AFTER the capture of the coyote with the carcass.

Appreciate that getting opinions won't affect the outcome of the loss. Truly just curious what others think.

Uploaded to YouTube in 1080p but for some reason they're being super slow to process it fully so can be viewed in HD... sorry won't be clearer until they do their thing.

I tend to lean yearly on that one... it’s tough though because of the size of the yote. It could make it seem bigger than it really is. They could have taken an injured deer down for sure. Other than fawns, it’s how they seem to get most of them. Either sick or injured.

Seems much to large to be a fawn IMO.

I tend to lean yearly on that one... it’s tough though because of the size of the yote. It could make it seem bigger than it really is.
For sure, Peplin Creek. If I watch in a small window or phone it looks more like a fawn, but if I watch on a bigger desktop expanded window I lean towards yearling. On one hand the legs look really long, but on the other hand the coyote isn't huge / the biggest we have around and he sure seems to be having an easy time running with it like what it's carrying doesn't weigh much at all.

I see your in Fla. where coyotes are small. I vote fawn. Besides, by far the largest predation by coyotes is fawns. Were you able to look around for rest of deer?

I see your in Fla. where coyotes are small. I vote fawn. Besides, by far the largest predation by coyotes is fawns. Were you able to look around for rest of deer?
Wish I could have, Baker, but was juggling pulling cards and quickly gather few chanterelles as I listened to lightning-heavy storm heading straight my way. As I pulled the last card had a strike hit within a hundred yards of me. Rushed to the house and then opened the cards only to see the video of the yote in question. Won't likely have time to look for carcass until this weekend and be surprised if have luck finding it as I only cut lanes around the outer edges of my fields during the summer until Aug / fawns will usually get up and run, so cover is pretty thick and heavy right now.

Did manage to gather enough chanterelles to give small bag-fulls to six of our employees.

20190715_160201.jpg

Me too on a fawn. Actually looks like both hind quarters are being carried to me. I don’t think a big yote could even do that with a bigger deer.

Besides being black, that tail will make him easy to spot in the future!

:emoji_smirk:

Fawn.... and I actually think the black yote is kind of cool.

I'm thinking fawn.