Northern Whitetail Crabs

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I planted some 30-06, Droptine and Crossbow NWC Crabs in 2020. They all seem to be growing great and the Droptine has several dozen fruit this year. The only issue you I have is the leaves on My Droptines seem to be effected by CAR , has anyone else had this problem with Droptines ?. The leaves of my 30-06 and Crossbow are uneffected. I reckon I'll try spraying the Droptines next spring to see if it helps and remove a ceder tree I know that's close by...but there are tons of ceders around and no way I could remove them all. If the CAR winds up killing the Droptines I guess I replace with more 30-06 or Crossbows

I have a NWC 10 Point (discontinued variety that was replaced with Crossbow) that along with leaf spots had a lot of it's fruit severely affected by CAR last year, while my Droptine looked pretty clean. They're next to each other. This year was opposite, the Droptine has a good amount of CAR leaf spots, but still grew great and produced a great crop while the 10pt is pretty clean. As long as it's just leaf spots I wouldn't sweat it and wouldn't bother to spray or remove cedars personally. Now the CAR on fruit (pictured below) bothers me. The 10 point seems like a good candidate for grafting into a Frankentree. 30-06 has shown some CAR spotting for me as well, but don't think its affecting its growth or production.

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_183645306.jpg
    IMG_20200722_183645306.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 32
I've got lots of most of the NWC planted from 6th leaf to first leaf. I get a little leaf spot here but that is about it, happy with ours very good growers and producers.

Topwork the ones you aren't satisfied with to something else.

Two of their trees have had CAR bad for me. One was the Yellow Delicious, and right off hand I don't remember the other one. I will topwork them soon. I had a big crop of fruit on a Droptine this year, but it is extremely small and looks like it will just dry up and mummify on the tree. However, I will give it another year to see if anything changes before I take any action.

I have a NWC 10 Point (discontinued variety that was replaced with Crossbow) that along with leaf spots had a lot of it's fruit severely affected by CAR last year, while my Droptine looked pretty clean. They're next to each other. This year was opposite, the Droptine has a good amount of CAR leaf spots, but still grew great and produced a great crop while the 10pt is pretty clean. As long as it's just leaf spots I wouldn't sweat it and wouldn't bother to spray or remove cedars personally. Now the CAR on fruit (pictured below) bothers me. The 10 point seems like a good candidate for grafting into a Frankentree. 30-06 has shown some CAR spotting for me as well, but don't think its affecting its growth or production.
Topwork the ones you aren't satisfied with to something else.

Two of their trees have had CAR bad for me. One was the Yellow Delicious, and right off hand I don't remember the other one. I will topwork them soon. I had a big crop of fruit on a Droptine this year, but it is extremely small and looks like it will just dry up and mummify on the tree. However, I will give it another year to see if anything changes before I take any action.
Native , it's a shame because My Droptines planted last spring have DOZENS of nice size crabs . Live and learn as certain trees are more diesease resistant than others.. I'll probably get a few more 30-06 and crossbow trees and try a few more trees from Blue Hill

My father has some cleveland pear trees along the driveway....every year thay have ALWAYS been loaded with small pears. This year the pears were messed up exactly like yous....with CAR ? and most of the pears dried up or fell off already

Seems like the 10-point is being marketed still: https://www.whitetailcrabs.com/more-2022-selections

Anyone have an idea for when the inventory will be updated for 2022 orders? I just checked Blue Hill and he had a post saying normally it would have been September 1st but he is waiting a week or two more to start taking orders for next year.

Seems like the 10-point is being marketed still: https://www.whitetailcrabs.com/more-2022-selections

Anyone have an idea for when the inventory will be updated for 2022 orders? I just checked Blue Hill and he had a post saying normally it would have been September 1st but he is waiting a week or two more to start taking orders for next year.
I just emailed Ryan at Blue Hill. He said 3rd week of September.

I just emailed Ryan at Blue Hill. He said 3rd week of September.
That's great to hear. Thanks for the update!

That's great to hear. Thanks for the update!
He also told me if you go into the order online page on the website that you can sign up for alerts when they would be restocked.

Gunfun13 I hear you.... while I wont remove all the Cedars I do have one fairly close to my tree plot maybe 30 yards away, I'll cut that down this winter to see if it makes a difference....can't hurt anything to remove it that's for sure