Northern dwellers septic freeze prevention

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
Having just spent 5 days clearing a frozen line (should've tapped a heated pipe instead of using 45 degree well water), I came up with a prevention measure that should be code in Northern climates.

Walmart is currently clearancing their 60' de-icing wire marketed for preventing ice dams for $35. Our system only has about 20' from the inside clean out to the first tank, so I paid $31 for the 30' version a few days ago not knowing I could've doubled it up (and the some) cheaper at wally world for the same price. Oh well.

Our main drain has a dog leg inlet w/p trap for the water softener cleaning discharge. I'm going to run the heater wire in through that and then snake it out via the clean out just below it. Anything that passes the toilet will be smaller than the 4" main, so there's no concern of causing a blockage with the wire in that pipe.

The plan once installed will be to connect the heater to a mechanical light travel timer so it'll run for an hour or three at a time, several times per week over the depths of winter. That way if we do end up with a cold pipe condition, it will still melt enough to drain.

I shoved the whole 30' element in the top of the exterior clean out, and was able to make it steam when we were at 25F over night. The wire I have is rated at 150W, so it's not going to spin the meter. It does get warm to the touch in free air too.

Should be the last time I poop in the woods that isn't by choice. :)

I don't do anything to myound system, it does get on my mind when it's -15. I see people use straw, which would help. Are those heating cords safe to basically be submerged in waste water all the time? Or am I not understaning your scheme?

They're designed to be submerged under snow melt for the durration of their life. I'd imagine they have decent insulation given the operating temps and how hot roofs get in the sun. Wire insulation in houses is PVC, just like the pipe I'm running it in (formulated a bit differently for flex).

We only have holding tanks now (in-laws cabin) but I'm going to revisit this issue in the design stage on the new house.

I know nothing about this, but I wonder what your pee and household chemicals will do to that wire insulation? I'd imagine that stuff is highly acidic.

It's not concentrated on the wire, and the material is the same composition as the pipe.

Unless you poop/pee substantially more volume than any human alive, you're dilluting that exposure by several times when you flush too. Even with a high efficiency toilet.

Plastic is the material of choice for caustic and acids. It's non-reactive.

So many chances to dish out some cheap shots but I'll refrain. :cool:

It would be so easy to make a plastic pipe with a heating element incorporated into it......just for this purpose. Who in a northern climate would not install such a pipe when building a new home?

I'd think it would become code for health reasons.

I almost gave up the fight with my drain yesterday, but hearing $225 for the service call and Monday at the earliest - I bought a longer hose for $16 and got back to flushing with the well water. Took about 5 hours with the extended reach, while working it deeper every 30-45 minutes or so.

I may well plumb a hot water faucet yet.