No deer. but now I have a bear

chummer

5 year old buck +
bear14.JPG View attachment 989 View attachment 989 A two week soak for two cameras on my wooded plot produced one spike and a couple doeas. No fawns, maybee this guy got them. Wehave more sightings every year but no bear season.

Last edited:
Bears.jpg

This is the first year I haven't gotten a bear on cam. Glad for it.

It may just be passing thru as it is breeding season for bear now. Also not all bear kill fawns, it is a thing that is learned and passed on. I have had bears on my property since I bought it 10 years ago. The deer coexist with bear without any problems. Most fawns after they are a week old are quite capable of staying out of the reach of black bear. The bear looks to be a good size bear. A couple of things that people can do to minimize the bear using your property is to quit putting out mineral licks or bait sights. Not saying you are but I know some guys do and wonder why they have bear.

View attachment 993
It may just be passing thru as it is breeding season for bear now. Also not all bear kill fawns, it is a thing that is learned and passed on. I have had bears on my property since I bought it 10 years ago. The deer coexist with bear without any problems. Most fawns after they are a week old are quite capable of staying out of the reach of black bear. The bear looks to be a good size bear. A couple of things that people can do to minimize the bear using your property is to quit putting out mineral licks or bait sights. Not saying you are but I know some guys do and wonder why they have bear.

True stuff. I put a 50lb bag of mixed bird seed in front of my trail camera to start surveying the deer condition from winter. Within 2 days, I had my fat boy sitting at the pile for over an hour gobbling up that bird seed.