All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Brow Tines

kl9

5 year old buck +
How often does everyone see deer without brow tines? I have gotten several pictures of this deer without them, but he seems to be the only one around.

Attachments

• No BTines.JPG
    No BTines.JPG
    678.4 KB · Views: 31
Can't say I've ever seen one by me

I have more than a couple like that up around my area. 172

I shot one this year and have a couple more pics of others, haven't seen it until the last couple years.

Here is the last trail cam pic I have of him.

Never seen one on my place.

I don't think I had a no brow deer this year...but have had many over the years. Also have "one brow" bucks all the time....and very small browsed bucks.

A uni brow from this year

Last edited:
I have several 2 1/2 years old and younger on cam every year. Seems like when they get older than that they have them?

The majority of the bucks in my area never used to have brow tines. I have noticed the last couple years more deer have them. Still the majority of them don't have them or maybe 1/2" on one side.

I've got one with no brows and one with a single brow this year.

Guys managing big chunks of acreage will tell you to shoot every 2.5 year old buck without brows that you can in order to remove that genetic trait.

Which does do they shoot to remove that trait? :rolleyes:

I've seen several 2.5.s over the years that had no brows. At 3.5, they had brows. I think most are just late born fawns that are taking a few years to catch up. Just my .02.

We have only had trail cameras for 2 years and each year we had a 6 pt with no brow tines. Maybe the same one, in 2014 it was quite a bit bigger than 2013. Otherwise we have some with shorter brow tines and seem to grow taller and spread out like this one the neighbor shot in 2013:

Others seem to have taller brow tines like this one and a more "traditional" growth of antlers. And we are pretty sure this is the same one a different neighbor shot in 2014:

My father shot a heavy big six with no brows about 30 years ago in northern Minnesota. It happens.

here is a collection of no brow/one brow bucks. they arent all from the same property or even the same township. they are all from the same county, but some are from farm land and some are from the big woods. I would say that all of them are 2.5 or older. This has always interested me. I always thought it must be a somewhat "localized" gene pool thing. Or it could just be the net cumulative effect of our 3 points to a side APR's? I really have no clue.

I "cull" my deer......I only shoot the dumb ones!

I remember reading somewhere that a lack of brow tines is from a lack of nutrition. I would think that the whole rack would be lacking, not just the brows.

So is there a chance he will grow brow tines next year?

I can't say that I ever remember seeing a deer with a single brow on one side in our area? The ones with no brows are typically a 1.5yo forkhorns or 6pt, and they almost always grow them the year they are 2.5. They may only be a couple inches long, but they grow them.

So is there a chance he will grow brow tines next year?
Is it possible? Sure. But I would say it's highly unlikely. Not the best pic to age from but I would say he is most likely a 2 yr. especially given how clean his beams are where brows would be....not even a hint of a brow bump.