Nice Christmas gift

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I have a Wooltimate vest from Cabela’s that I really love. When my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas I told her I’d really like a Wooltimate jacket to go with it. I sent her the link and knew that she ordered it. The surprise was in a second package she had for me. I’ve become a fan of merino wool and really rave about how much I like my merino base layers. I like both Smartwool and Minus33. She gave me a heavyweight 1/4zip from Smartwool. I forget the exact percentages but it’s mostly merino wool with a little polyester and nylon. It’s like a heavy fleece that’s mostly merino wool. I was wearing it around the house yesterday and it was so warm I had to take it off. I put on a fleece vest instead and was noticeably cooler. I live in the St. Louis, MO area and we had low teens and single digits yesterday and it was surprising how warm that simple 1/4 zip kept me. I think it will be a great mid layer for really cold hunts but it’s nice enough that I can wear it as a jacket or outer layer on warm days around the house or even when I’m just out and about. My wife is a teacher and she wanted a warm, long coat to wear on recess duty. I bought her a full length Down coat from Lands End. I guess this was the year of the coat in our house. (Plus Cards/Cubs tickets - we’re a house divided when it comes to baseball)

I know Christmas isn’t about giving and getting but hopefully you got something nice too!

Send me a link on that merino. I have two set of base layers 25 years old with holes and no elastic left working in them. But I'm still wearing them because I can't find anything better. Sometimes new technology isn't the best. I hate under amour. Don't get all the hype.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-echo-lake-full-zip-fleece-sw0sp638

This is the full zip. The one I have is the half zip. The Smartwool base layers are awesome too. I don’t remember exact numbers but I believe the lightweight ones are 170 count and the mid weight is 230 count or thereabouts. I absolutely love the mid weight base layer. A lot of that hi-tech stuff works great but I like to say it “holds the odor well” when you sweat. Maybe it’s an old age thing but I while I don’t mind compression shorts or even long bottoms I really don’t care for the skin tight hi-Tech tops. I like my shirts a little looser fitting. I also really like the Cabela’s stand hunter base layer top. None of this stuff is cheap but I don’t mind paying for quality and comfort combined.

My 2 sons and I got ourselves early Christmas "toys" at Cabela's. The wool sweaters they carry with "Wind-shear" fabric in them are really warm. I saw someone on this forum talking about how warm they were, so we each got one. They really work !! We wore them deer hunting and I have to say they DO block the wind. If I can find wool pants with that "Wind-shear" fabric in them - I'll buy them. They'd be the ticket when sitting in a cold tree stand.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I can retire the old ones.

The woolimate is some good stuff for sure

Am I the only one who think $170 for a mid-layer little jacket is absolutely bananas? I understand that you generally get what you pay for, but dang.

All camo clothing has become ridiculously expensive, especially since most of it isnt made in the USA.

In hear ya. Im looking for merino base layers. Did some searching and they can be had on Amazon in the $30 range. Only 25% merino but I bet my old cabelas ones were not much more. I'll order a set and see.

Am I the only one who think $170 for a mid-layer little jacket is absolutely bananas? I understand that you generally get what you pay for, but dang.
No you aren't the only one :emoji_wink:

I still wear my Predator camo I bought back when it was made in the U.S.A. for about $50 a set. I switch it out with my Tree Bark camo - also made in the U.S.A. - from some years ago. A lot less money paid and it's all still good to go.

I just bought the wooltimate camo jacket on clearance for $59 from Cabelas. 2XLT.