Newbie with Questions and a Link

Ernst Seed in NW Pa is a great source for info, seed and plants for your situation. Their catalog is quite extensive. Tons of quality photos in the catalog for identifying native plants, too. They specialize in native stuff. Google them.

SW Pa

Big Rock Trees is back up and ready for business! I just purchased 25 black elderberry, 25 B-grade willows, 25 silky dogwood and Bucky Jake Kit!

Reactions: Tap
Yep - like Tap said .... Ernst Seed is a real good place for ALL KINDS of seed for many, many applications. ^^^^ They have site-specific recommendations.

Reactions: Tap
Yep - like Tap said .... Ernst Seed is a real good place for ALL KINDS of seed for many, many applications. ^^^^ They have site-specific recommendations.
Thanks guys! I will check out their seed selection.

And even if you don't ever buy from them, their catalog should be in everyone's stack of reference stuff. You can spend hours looking through it. I see that it's viewable on line, but I like the hard copy.

SW Pa

Not sure all your ?'s got answered.
Deer browse the new growth on willows at my place heavily. I've got about 100 hybrids that are unprotected, three years old and just making it to 4 foot tall. Their more like bushes because the deer eat them down and they sprout like crazy.

Rye will grow in the back of a pickup if it gets some moisture. Any seed that falls in the cracks of the chips will grow.

Your not planning on starting the cuttings from big rock in tubs are you? If so don't bother, just poke them in the ground where you want them. Along that stream they will grow.

I plant on start the hybrid poplars in the Jake Kit, everything else will go right into the dirt. Did you have to protect your willows the first year? Browse-able
Not sure all your ?'s got answered.
Deer browse the new growth on willows at my place heavily. I've got about 100 hybrids that are unprotected, three years old and just making it to 4 foot tall. Their more like bushes because the deer eat them down and they sprout like crazy.

Rye will grow in the back of a pickup if it gets some moisture. Any seed that falls in the cracks of the chips will grow.

Your not planning on starting the cuttings from big rock in tubs are you? If so don't bother, just poke them in the ground where you want them. Along that stream they will grow.
I plan on starting the hybrid poplars in the Jake kit, everything else will go directly in the ground. did you have to protect or spray your hybrid willows the first year? I'm not looking for trees, browse-able bushes is what I want.

I used 4inch X 36 inch mesh tubes from BenMeadows.com for the first year. Everything that pokes through or grows out the top gets eaten. But after the first year the roots have taken and they eat them to nubs and the willows will come back.