New trees

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So I just got some bare roots in the mail. I can’t plant them for at least a week. Do I keep them in my cold garage or do I plant them in 5 gallon containers until I can plant them? They are crabs..

What zone are you in? Could you heel them in on the NE side of your house and expect them to remain dormant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to hardware store and buy a bag or two of sand. Plant them all in box with the sand. It's called hilling. Water them, but make sure there's drainage so they dont drown.

The large ones dont do as good as the little ones, I'd plant those is a pot, put them in somewhere a bit shady in the summer, and plant them in the ground in the fall.

So I just got some bare roots in the mail. I can’t plant them for at least a week. Do I keep them in my cold garage or do I plant them in 5 gallon containers until I can plant them? They are crabs..
A week isn't long. You didn't mention your zone. Basically you just want to keep the roots moist and keep them from breaking dormancy. You can put the roots in damp sawdust or even damp newspaper. You don't want the roots to freeze. Unless they are quite close to breaking bud, you will probably be fine, just keeping them cool for a week. Depending on your zone, a garage might work well.

zone 6. It’s supposed to snow this weekend, and my garage stays cold. I should be able to plant them tuesday or wed.

I just wet an old towel and wrap around the root bundle and keep them in the shipping box, in a cool garage they will be fine for a couple weeks.

Do what Yoderjac and H2Ofwler said and they will be fine. If the garage is going to freeze I’ve kept them in my basement and never had a problem.