new toy

bueller

Just picked up this little guy for some summer carry. Ordered a Remora holster for it. The caliber is downgrade from my S&W 642 but I've found the 642 to be a bit uncomfortable to wear IWB and it prints a little too much for my liking in a pocket. Hopefully the thinner and lighter LCP will be more comfortable which translates to me carrying it more often. I'd rather have it with me when wearing light clothing on a hot summer day than be unarmed with my 642 sitting in the safe.

lcp.JPG

is that a 9mm?

380, 6+1 capacity

i've been toying with a "downgrade" in caliber for similar reasons. keep us posted on how you like that little ruger. I've been carrying the M&P sheild in 9mm which is a pretty small package, single stack 7rd flush fit mag, and 8rd extended grip spare mag. I need to get a better IWB holster though. The holster i have is a cheap Galco with an spare mag "pouch" on it and its alittle on the bulky side. Since i carry 4 o'clock strong side I'm not a fan of having the spare mag in the holster...it makes for a pretty cumbersome and time consuming mag change....so i have just been carrying the spare mag in left front (weak side) pocket.

Nice bueller.

I carry a Walther PPS in a Minotaur MTAC at 4 o'clock, no spare mag. I figure if I can't get out of trouble with 4 or 5 rounds then I've got bigger problems than my skinny little pistol is going to solve. Love the PPS. S&W basically copied the design and came out with the M&P Shield that Phil carries.

I carry the Governor while wearing a wife beater and skinny jeans.

banner.jpg

Nice bueller.

I carry a Walther PPS in a Minotaur MTAC at 4 o'clock, no spare mag. I figure if I can't get out of trouble with 4 or 5 rounds then I've got bigger problems than my skinny little pistol is going to solve. Love the PPS. S&W basically copied the design and came out with the M&P Shield that Phil carries.

I operate on the premise it is better to have and not need than to need and not have....not just in terms of the firearm, but the ammo as well. Once the decision to pull the trigger is made, i want to be able to keep pulling the trigger until the threat is neutralized. I keep extra ammo in the vehicles as well. When practical i also keep something with more knock down power and capacity in the vehicle....like a shotgun or carbine. Some of my friends think i'm paranoid....i prefer to think of it as prepared. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Hey Phil check out Old Faithful holsters. Nice company, good holsters.

Much like how a cheap scissors jack isn't the right tool for changing tires all the time they are invaluable in a pinch.

A tiny .380 isn't the #1 option all the time for concealed carry however it does have its place.

I operate on the premise it is better to have and not need than to need and not have....not just in terms of the firearm, but the ammo as well. Once the decision to pull the trigger is made, i want to be able to keep pulling the trigger until the threat is neutralized. I keep extra ammo in the vehicles as well. When practical i also keep something with more knock down power and capacity in the vehicle....like a shotgun or carbine. Some of my friends think i'm paranoid....i prefer to think of it as prepared. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I hear you about being prepared...agreed. I guess then the question is what exactly is it you are preparing for that you feel the need for all that ammo, and a shotgun and a carbine in the truck? Around here there just is not that level of a threat that would neccesitate me even thinking about walking around with extra ammo and firearms in my vehicles.

We all draw the line it somewhere I guess based on personal preferences and the local threat environement, real or perceived. Some guys carry their AR and three full 30 mags when they go out in the back yard to feed their chickens for Christ sake. If I operated with the assumption that it is better to be prepared for the worst case scenario than to need and not have I'd end up carrying my AR, assault vest, and six loaded 30 mags everywhere I went. That's the ultimate preparedness, no? But that's not reasonable considering the threat environment in my neck of the woods. For me personally, I feel the ammo in my magazine, with my skills and experience and training, will get me out of any situation that I might find myself in around here in my neck of the woods.

When the Chinese begin dropping from the sky Red Dawn style...no, if I'm away from my home, I'll be doomed. But like I said, that's a bigger problem than I'm willing to prepare for and think about and worry about on a daily basis.

Question...do you live in a dangerous area? This will undoubtedly shape our individual choices. I don't. Quiet. Rural...but it's the kind of affluent, liberal rural that brings with it peace and quiet and fairy educated and considerate neighbors. Low crime. Good schools and good kids (I'm a teacher and coach).

Always enjoy hearing your thoughts!

Nice. I'm looking at one just like it for my wife. Myself I have a LCR in 38+ & a P98 in 9mm.

I hear you about being prepared...agreed. I guess then the question is what exactly is it you are preparing for that you feel the need for all that ammo, and a shotgun and a carbine in the truck? Around here there just is not that level of a threat that would neccesitate me even thinking about walking around with extra ammo and firearms in my vehicles.

We all draw the line it somewhere I guess based on personal preferences and the local threat environement, real or perceived. Some guys carry their AR and three full 30 mags when they go out in the back yard to feed their chickens for Christ sake. If I operated with the assumption that it is better to be prepared for the worst case scenario than to need and not have I'd end up carrying my AR, assault vest, and six loaded 30 mags everywhere I went. That's the ultimate preparedness, no? But that's not reasonable considering the threat environment in my neck of the woods. For me personally, I feel the ammo in my magazine, with my skills and experience and training, will get me out of any situation that I might find myself in around here in my neck of the woods.

When the Chinese begin dropping from the sky Red Dawn style...no, if I'm away from my home, I'll be doomed. But like I said, that's a bigger problem than I'm willing to prepare for and think about and worry about on a daily basis.

Question...do you live in a dangerous area? This will undoubtedly shape our individual choices. I don't. Quiet. Rural...but it's the kind of affluent, liberal rural that brings with it peace and quiet and fairy educated and considerate neighbors. Low crime. Good schools and good kids (I'm a teacher and coach).

Always enjoy hearing your thoughts!

natty, i wasnt trying to insinuate that you were not prepared nor skilled enough. I know you have a military background and thus posses an aptitude and skill set far above most people. I was just trying to explain my philosophy.

Thankfully i do not live in what most would consider a high risk/threat environ. That said its advantageous to be self reliant. I live in the middle of nowhere, although I am close to town, a town of 200 people. Its not an affluent, liberal rural though....but we generally have good folks and low crime. I would consider myself more than proficient with my firearms and would like to think in a threat situation, i will make one or two well placed shots and end the threat. However, i think that represents the normal robbery, mugger, car jacker, home intruder, rabid animal....traditional threats to be prepared for. It seems to me that in this day and age there are more threat ranges to be prepared for beyond the traditional modality. Fergusson, Baltimore, wanna be ISIS "soldiers", active shooter/s, all have changed that traditional threat axiom. Granted, I dont live in an area where mass civil unrest and rioting is likely to occur. I do however travel up to an hour away, to areas where the newer threats are conceivable, at least once a week with my family. Those areas have serious drug problems and depressed economies. Crime is on the rise. There was a shooting in the one city last week in a part of town that has traditionally been safe and that i frequent.

While I do not think any of those high level massive threats are likely, i'm sure the people who have survived them didnt think so either. It isnt much of an inconvenience for me to have an extra mag on my person, extra ammo in the vehicle, or a higher capacity, longer range, more stopping power weapon in the vehicle. And like you said, its all about assessing the threat level for the situation. As i stated in my previous post, the secondary weapon is only in play when practical. It isnt always practical and I can and do live with that. Sometimes the secondary weapon is a full sized handgun, not a carbine or shotgun.

I'm not so worried about or even prepared for "red dawn" (sidenote: the original is one of my favorite movies ever!)....no one is. I dont worry about much on a daily basis. I'm not hunkered down in my house with my black rifles and chest rig on. I do however believe in situational awareness. I have practiced this mental exercise to the point that i dont even think about it anymore. My mind goes into it instinctively. Points of ingress/egress, how to move through a place in a way that will lead to safety in an emergency, location and proximity of other people, potential threats and so on and so on. I almost always assess for getting to safety first, confrontation as a last resort. I dont get all wound up or freaked out if i cant sit in a corner so i can see the whole room and have a wall to my back or anything like that...lol. In many ways its a lot like scouting for deer or turkeys. It also goes back to my EMT training....scene safety. Just basic awareness of your surroundings makes one much more prepared for an emergency.

natty, i wasnt trying to insinuate that you were not prepared nor skilled enough. I know you have a military background and thus posses an aptitude and skill set far above most people. I was just trying to explain my philosophy.

Thankfully i do not live in what most would consider a high risk/threat environ. That said its advantageous to be self reliant. I live in the middle of nowhere, although I am close to town, a town of 200 people. Its not an affluent, liberal rural though....but we generally have good folks and low crime. I would consider myself more than proficient with my firearms and would like to think in a threat situation, i will make one or two well placed shots and end the threat. However, i think that represents the normal robbery, mugger, car jacker, home intruder, rabid animal....traditional threats to be prepared for. It seems to me that in this day and age there are more threat ranges to be prepared for beyond the traditional modality. Fergusson, Baltimore, wanna be ISIS "soldiers", active shooter/s, all have changed that traditional threat axiom. Granted, I dont live in an area where mass civil unrest and rioting is likely to occur. I do however travel up to an hour away, to areas where the newer threats are conceivable, at least once a week with my family. Those areas have serious drug problems and depressed economies. Crime is on the rise. There was a shooting in the one city last week in a part of town that has traditionally been safe and that i frequent.

While I do not think any of those high level massive threats are likely, i'm sure the people who have survived them didnt think so either. It isnt much of an inconvenience for me to have an extra mag on my person, extra ammo in the vehicle, or a higher capacity, longer range, more stopping power weapon in the vehicle. And like you said, its all about assessing the threat level for the situation. As i stated in my previous post, the secondary weapon is only in play when practical. It isnt always practical and I can and do live with that. Sometimes the secondary weapon is a full sized handgun, not a carbine or shotgun.

I'm not so worried about or even prepared for "red dawn" (sidenote: the original is one of my favorite movies ever!)....no one is. I dont worry about much on a daily basis. I'm not hunkered down in my house with my black rifles and chest rig on. I do however believe in situational awareness. I have practiced this mental exercise to the point that i dont even think about it anymore. My mind goes into it instinctively. Points of ingress/egress, how to move through a place in a way that will lead to safety in an emergency, location and proximity of other people, potential threats and so on and so on. I almost always assess for getting to safety first, confrontation as a last resort. I dont get all wound up or freaked out if i cant sit in a corner so i can see the whole room and have a wall to my back or anything like that...lol. In many ways its a lot like scouting for deer or turkeys. It also goes back to my EMT training....scene safety. Just basic awareness of your surroundings makes one much more prepared for an emergency.

No, no. I knew weren't insinuating anything. I didn't take it that way. We have a lot in common you and I. I bet most guys on the forum also value a high degree of self-reliant, off the grid, fix it yourself type of preparedness. You make great points as always. I was curious about the area you lived in. I feel blessed to live in a very quiet and peaceful part of the world. I know everybody is not as lucky.

I tell you one thing…having kids was the single biggest event in my life that changed the way I think about preparedness, my surroundings, safety while in public, etc.

Again…always enjoy hearing your thoughts. Red Dawn, the original version, is one of my favorite movies too! :D

Much like how a cheap scissors jack isn't the right tool for changing tires all the time they are invaluable in a pinch.

A tiny .380 isn't the #1 option all the time for concealed carry however it does have its place.
Friends don't let friends carry 380's . Just kidding, I've got a PPK.

I bought the same Ruger for one reason only. It is easy to carry so it is likely I will be carrying it.